• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modding a Traditions Hawken rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a Traditions Hawken rifle home and want to do 2 things to it.

First, it is just a personal glitch, but the mixing of steel screws on bright brass parts is just jarring to my senses. Not that I’m overly sensitive, proven by some of the rattle can camo jobs I’ve done on infamous black unmentionables. The first option I’m considering is to pull the steel screws from nose cap, patch box, and butt plate then replace with brass screws. The other is to use brass blackening to darken the brass and then strip the factory finish to go with a hand rubbed oil. `

Second, want to go with non-adjustable traditional sights. Here are links to the sights I found on TOTW to go on it:

Front
Rear

Do understand that there will have to be a dove tail cut for the rear plus the front dovetail opened to get the front sight to fit. Right now, my hands aren’t steady enough for such work and most likely send to the Muzzleloading Shop in Berryville, Arkansas to get done. Are there better choices in sights that are out there?

Has anyone like this that give some insight on what is involved in all this?

You might want to use a dirty patch that you wiped down the bore with after shooting a couple of loads to darken the brass. It always worked for me and I got great results.

I don't know if your Traditions Hawken is the same, but the front sight on my Hawken Woodsman is awesome to me. The blade with the little bead on top makes it so much easier for me to see rather than just a thin blade. If you indeed remove that front sight, I'll buy it from you to put on my Traditions Kentucky.

I don't know if your Traditions Hawken is the same, but the front sight on my Hawken Woodsman is awesome to me. The blade with the little bead on top makes it so much easier for me to see rather than just a thin blade. If you indeed remove that front sight, I'll buy it from you to put on my Traditions Kentucky.
No problem. We'll work something out.

Sounds like you want to mess with it, but other than the sights, I would let it age naturally. The brass will patina fairly quick along with the steel heads of the screws. Plus finding actual brass screws may be hard. The last ones I bought were plated and weak. They would twist off in the wood.

Sounds like you want to mess with it, but other than the sights, I would let it age naturally. The brass will patina fairly quick along with the steel heads of the screws. Plus finding actual brass screws may be hard. The last ones I bought were plated and weak. They would twist off in the wood.
I like the idea of the more traditional sights. The screws are your personal preference, but steel screws are correct for 19th century guns and I would stick with them.
Best advice is advice well heeded. Thanks for the input.

Do appreciate the link and thusly ordered both front & rear sights. Oh, the left side of the pix is on my lust list and he said he had several in stock.
The_Gun_Works_Order__Capture.PNG

PM your mail address, when I get it off the barrel, I'll mail it to you.

Basically, don't want to look like a 1970's rendezvous refugee with the bright brass and TC's electric guitar stock finish. Use the same process on the stock that 11BangBang states that he does to Indian muskets. Strip, stain, and oil. Change out the sights so that they are more traditional (no pun intended). And break it in with good honest usage.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Back