• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moccasins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made 3 pairs last year, 2 for me and for a buddy. I did a lot of google search and youtube videos to find a pattern i liked. The problem was you had to make several pairs to fit bare feet, light socks, and heavy socks. I finaly found a video on youtube from The Wandering Bull...easy to make and best part they are adjustible. Of course i ordered their moc kit and made them first before i made the others from elk hide.
EEDB2ED5-54D7-46B3-8A59-24313CE8DC82.jpeg
9B18BDD0-A9B8-4A0B-9997-62074AF25E14.jpeg

I've used the same video and method but not with the leather lace so I lost the adjustability. It is still a nice easy method for those new to making these.
There are some other videos out there as good or better, with more traditional ideas. One good idea the is mentioned often by natives is to make the flaps separate. This server two purposes. By seeing the flaps on, they could be taken off, a smaller piece of leather could be used for the main body of the moccasin and the flaps from the old pair put on the new. Often it was these flaps that had quill and/or bead work decoration, this decoration could be moved from moccasin to moccasin.

Yours came out very nice. Are the ones pictured from the kit or the elk ones made later.
Also, if you used a leather thong or lace, did you cut it yourself? How thick and how long?

Brokennock, i’ll keep that in mind and on my next pair i will made the flaps separate and also plan on making a pair that is not adjustable, more traditional like you stated. Boths pictures are the ones i made from elk. For the lace i cheated as i have a lace cutter and the lace is about 1/8” to 3/16” thick. As to the length i never measured it. I just cut the lacing long so i have a 2-3 foot strip. When laced up i leave an extra 4-5” and cut. For the flaps to be tied up i use same lace, wrap around ankle 2 times tie off and cut..again i never measured them.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the idea of some adjustment. I have high arch compared to native people I guess. It is almost impossible for me to get a moccasin on that fits my sole, if I can get it on, the sole is loose, especially after they've been worn and stretched a bit.

Latest posts

Back