• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mixed powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Some knucklehead foolishly mixed equal amounts of FFg with FFFg in my horn. I dont imagaine this would result in any danger when shooting but I assume it will effect my ignition. Has anyone had any experience with such a mixture? What might I expect?
Oh, and by the way, I am the knucklehead!

Mighty Oak said:
Some knucklehead foolishly mixed equal amounts of FFg with FFFg in my horn. I dont imagaine this would result in any danger when shooting but I assume it will effect my ignition. Has anyone had any experience with such a mixture? What might I expect?
Not sure it would make as much difference in ignition as it might in velocity variations from shot to shot, depending upon the amounts of 3F or 2F in one charge compared to another charge, etc.

If it was me I'd pour it out into a container and mix the be-jeepers out of it to at least get it as close to an even blended consistency as possible...it should certainly be consistent enough to plink at the range...cans, steel targets, etc.

For a while I mixed 2f and 3f half and half for my .62 and used up a lb. of it and it worked fine, some feel it is a compromise twixt the cleaner 3f and the lower pressured 2f and it will not seperate after being mixed, someone did a test on this...try it you might like it.

Like tg, I have shot blended powder for a couple of years. The only difference I noticed was increased muzzle velocity of about 100 fps over the same load of FFFG.

I would pour that powder into a square container and SLOWLY roll the daylights out of it to mix thouroughly. Or, you might try using a wooden spoon or wooden paddle to mix the powder in a bowl. This shouldn't take all that long. I used a square plastic container in a rolling motion to mix powder while watching TV. It didn't take but about 5-10 minutes to get an even mix.

Warning, Don't handle any type powder while smoking, or when around somone else who is smoking. It's bad for your health.
J.D.

Mighty Oak said:

Sounds like 2 1/2 Fg to me... :haha:

I would stay away from maximum loads while using it, just in case...

Another fix would be to strain it through a non-sparking mesh to sepperate the two sizes, but that is not really needed...

I usualy have a horn of mixed powder around .When I get to the bottom of a can and ther ain't enough to justify carying it around in my shooting box any more, it goes into " the horn ". Use the mixed powder in my smoothbore all the time.Back in the day ,they would use whatever they could get.so it's probably PC.As long as it goes boom and puts the ball on target I'm happy.

Thanks for the info guys. I too will be shooting a .62 smoothbore with this mixed powder primarily at targets in the backyard so I guess this is fine.I will use a non blended powder for the biathlons.

Back