• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missouri State Rifle in "The American Rifleman"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got the September 2023 issue of The American Rifleman yesterday, and in amongst all the usual fluff, I found this:

NRA-Hawken 1.jpg

A full page devoted to the new Missouri state rifle (a Hawken, of course) and the bench copy of the original rifle made by Missouri artisan/gunsmith, Bob Browner. I've always heard that Bob's work is top-flight, but he knocked it out of the park with this one. Those two rifles could be littermates!

NRA-Hawken 3.jpg

The text leaves a little to be desired, but it was after all a good effort by their staff writer:

NRA-Hawken 2.jpg

I understand Mr. Browner's rifle will be at the upcoming Hawken Classic 2023. For more on this event, and more photos of Mr. Browner's Hawken, check out this thread: Hawken Classic 2023

I wish I could be there to see it! In any event, it was good to see some muzzleloading coverage in The American Rifleman.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for pointing this small article out to the muzzleloading fans ....My Rifleman just came. It's good to finally see a muzzleloader featured In it! I agree that this magazine needs more muzzleloading content. .. but I guess black rifles, plastic pistols and the new super cartridge of the month provides the focus that many (most?) of the current NRA membership want to see. It certainly pays for their advertising budget!
Interestingly the Missouri state mineral is the lead ore "lead sulfide" (Galena). It complements the Hawken rifle

The Hawken Rifle; the perfect product at the perfect time to satisfy a demand from a specific class of working people; sounds like the perfect capitalist solution to a problem! And, they're handsome to boot! :thumb:

Thanks for pointing this small article out to the muzzleloading fans ....My Rifleman just came. It's good to finally see a muzzleloader featured In it! I agree that this magazine needs more muzzleloading content. .. but I guess black rifles, plastic pistols and the new super cartridge of the month provides the focus that many (most?) of the current NRA membership want to see. It certainly pays for their advertising budget!
Interestingly the Missouri state mineral is the lead ore "lead sulfide" (Galena). It complements the Hawken rifle
Thank you for the comments.

I did not know about the state mineral! Lead ore… very appropriate!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I just got the September 2023 issue of The American Rifleman yesterday, and in amongst all the usual fluff, I found this:

View attachment 247095

A full page devoted to the new Missouri state rifle (a Hawken, of course) and the bench copy of the original rifle made by Missouri artisan/gunsmith, Bob Browner. I've always heard that Bob's work is top-flight, but he knocked it out of the park with this one. Those two rifles could be littermates!

View attachment 247096

The text leaves a little to be desired, but it was after all a good effort by their staff writer:

View attachment 247097

I understand Mr. Browner's rifle will be at the upcoming Hawken Classic 2023. For more on this event, and more photos of Mr. Browner's Hawken, check out this thread: Hawken Classic 2023

I wish I could be there to see it! In any event, it was good to see some muzzleloading coverage in The American Rifleman.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks for sharing this article!

The popular Guns & Ammo magazine took the hint about "more muzzle loading articles" a short while back and started running some basic black powder pistol articles; this was about the same time we started seeing demand and interest in BP during the modern ammo shortages, etc. Their readers must have been clamoring for such info, and they responded.

Glad to see…
Celebrating our Nations history with the most iconic name in Muzzleloading history - good for Missouri.
Doubt any of this occurs without the creation of HawkenClassic. Shows what can happen when collaborate efforts are made for a common goal.
Thanks to many.

Last edited:

View attachment 247095

View attachment 247096

View attachment 247097

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
it was fantastic. If you're a fan of Hawken rifles, you'd be in heaven. Several original Hawkens and several copies. Next year the Hawken classic will be in September. It's a great time and Several seminars are given, they are available on you tube under Hawken classic channel. Thanks to all who participated. Bruce

View attachment 247095

View attachment 247096

View attachment 247097

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
And I was among the few people that got to shoot the Missouri State Rifle at the Hawken Classic. The two congressmen that sponsored the legislation were the first to shoot it. About a dozen of us ventured out into the swamp that was the rifle range. It shoots as good as it looks! This may be the last time that rifle was shot.

Latest posts

Back