• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miroku flintlocks??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently ran across a Miroku in, what appears to be, 36 caliber. I've never seen one and the Internet chat rooms have mixed reviews. I'm thinking of buying as it appears to be a good deal. Anyone out there have any opinions for or against?

Miroku does great work, when it's paid-for. They made a pretty good Bess back-in-the-day, and many of them are still going strong. They also contracted to make inexpensive muzzle loading rifles, plus some ACW Remington Zouave rifles, as well as craptastic flintlock musket (wall hangers). These were sold under the name Ultra-Hi. The inexpensive caplock rifles do shoot, and at auction run from $175-$275. They are on par with vintage CVA rifles of the same period.
Ultra Hi Miroku Rifle.jpg
Ultra Hi Miroku Faux Patch Box.jpg Ultra Hi Miroku Side Plate.jpg

LD

You do have to be wary of some of these early rifles, especially the ones with an octagon to round barrel. Some of these were made with two piece barrels. Sometimes the bores don't line up. As Dave said, Miroku made some very good guns such as the Brown Bess and the Dixie Gun Works Mountain Rifle. Which one are you looking to buy? Any pictures?

I have one in a cap gun in 45. Bought it before I knew how to build stuff. I don't have anything good to say about it.

I have a DIXIE MTN. RIFLE that I bought 43 yrs ago still sparking and it is a 50 cal. grease hole in the butt.with a flint lock lock and a percussion lock also. just screw out the liner vent and screw in the drum and nipple,VIOLA!! any one have one of these?

I have a DIXIE MTN. RIFLE that I bought 43 yrs ago still sparking and it is a 50 cal. grease hole in the butt.with a flint lock lock and a percussion lock also. just screw out the liner vent and screw in the drum and nipple,VIOLA!! any one have one of these?

I don't have one but know several folks that do/did shoot one of these. When I got started with flintlocks in the early 1980 these DGW rifles were the nice step up in quality and design from the common CVA and T/C guns that so many of us started with.

I have a Miroku .69 caliber pistol from around the 70's. It's more of a pirate gun with a Kentucky style grip and Brown Bess flintlock on it. It came with a very soft frizzen which I couldn't get to spark no matter how many times I heated and quenched it. Ended up purchasing a Siler large rifle frizzen which with a little file and polish work fit just fine. The barrel goes from octagon to tapered smooth with a wedding ring band at the muzzle.

Eddie2002, I think that at one time or another a lot of us had one of those pirate pistols.yes seems that a soft frizzen was a common problem. the rifles are a different story, top shelf and highly sought after!!.I even had one of the so called pirate pistols that was marked on the barrel, HI HUNTER, made in KOREA!! but the beast sparked. i never got a ball to fit it rite so i loaded it with 2ffg and HORNETS NEST over the powder them a equal amount of bird shot with hornets nest pushed down on thp of it and used to shoot snakes with it.

Gun Cat,I think all of us got started with T/C, or CVA, back in the day they were bout all that we had to choose from, till VAL FORGET started bringing them in from japan, as NAVY ARMS, RIDGE FIELD NEW JERSEY. any one remember them? there are still a lot of NAVY ARMS floating around out there.

I've a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter .58 caliber which I picked up at a pawn shop about three years ago as an $140.00 impulse buy. It came with a bunch of supplies along with a powder horn half full of black powder. Think it was made back in '72 and has a peep site on it. Shoots better than I can last time I had it out. I usually shoot .50 caliber but the Buffalo Hunter was just so pretty I had to bring it home ;). I've a bad habit of buying oddball muzzle loaders specially when the price is right.

Latest posts

Back