• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minimum load for Lyman GP .50 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego_m

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am starting to shoot my Lyman Great Plains .50 cal. percussion rifle 8 months after triple bypass surgery. Even though my surgeon says it's okay to go full bore (pun intended) I want to start off with a reduced load before going to a full hunting load. The manual gives only maximum loads so I'm looking for advice about how much powder to use to start with. I prefer to use FFFg Pyrodex or Triple Seven. Your advice is appreciated!

Start low as you want and work up a little at a time as long as you feel comfortable. There really is no lowest you can go. Even a few grains will spit out the ball. I'd start at about 20 or 25 and work up.

I'm using 35 grains of 3f for superb small game accuracy. Don't even have to change the sight from their regulation with a heavy hunting load.

My GPR doesn't care or seem to notice whether it's shooting Goex, Pyrodex or Triple Seven. It likes them all equally well. Guy would have to be a politician looking for an argument to find any difference between them in accuracy or performance.

4.5 will bounce off wood, MAY penetrate one side of a soft aluminum pepsi can, wont blow through.

I used to load down my ROA so my then 2 1/2 year old could shoot it (with pop behind him makin sure no barrel swing in such was goin on). 4.5 (ok 5) gr would send it into one side of the can and we could "pour em out" when done. He was a crack shot too :redface: (at 3 feet). He thought all that corn meal was smoke :blah:

I was reminded in another forum.

The Lyman rifles have a patent breech with a smaller dia chamber at the rear.

The powder charge should AT LEAST fill this smaller chamber. If it does not you will have an air gap, which is not good.

Not sure how big the chamber is but I would bet that mine would hold about 20gn (about .32 dia and 3/4 or 1" long).

charlie b said:
I was reminded in another forum.

The Lyman rifles have a patent breech with a smaller dia chamber at the rear.

The powder charge should AT LEAST fill this smaller chamber. If it does not you will have an air gap, which is not good.

Not sure how big the chamber is but I would bet that mine would hold about 20gn (about .32 dia and 3/4 or 1" long).

Years back someone pulled the breech and measured the capacity. Don't recall who did it, but I'm pretty sure it was Zonie who posted the results.

My memory is geezerly at times, but I do remember stuff that registers as important. I'd been shooting 20 grains of 3f until then. Zonie (or whoever) reported that the patent breech on the Lyman GPR holds right at 30 grains.

Did some testing, found out mine preferred 35 grains rather than 30. Tossed my 20 grain measure in the drawer and made a new one for 35 grains. Never looked back.

Back