• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

keeping my Lyman 50 cal percussion cap dry and ready to shoot on an elk hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgreen123

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello all, my wife bought me an elk hunt in Wyoming this fall and I am going after my first elk with my Lyman Plains 50 cal percussion cap. I have harvested many, many animals with this rifle and some in damp, rainy weather. however, I haven't done a prolonged walk/stalk type hunt with the rifle loaded and ready. Looking for any and all input from you old school guys on how to keep my "powder dry", including the percussion cap and all in the event I encounter prolonged and damp/rainy weather. My thought was to keep it loaded and ready in a waterproof scabbard with sling.
help........

I have melted little bit of wax in tea spoon and dribbled it around bottom of cap,then either piece of electrical tape,or stretch wrap held on with rubber band over muzzle,I preferred stretch wrap because I lube metal heavily when hunting in rain and tape didn't stick very well.

Get you a cows knee and keep the muzzle pointed down. Should be fine. Cover the muzzle like @Old Grunt suggested for even more protection. Good luck on your future hunt.

The Remington and CCI caps both seem very consistent dimensionally and if they fit the cone well it’s difficult but not impossible for water to intrude. I have used a short piece of aquarium tube over the cap to seal it to the cone. Cut the tubing short enough that it doesn’t interfere with the hammer impacting the cap and you should have a waterproof seal.

Latest posts

Back