• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie in ML?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this topic has been addressed before. Has anyone used a minie-type bullet in a muzzleloading pistol for hunting? Given the relatively fast twist in most pistols would they be accurate and powerful enough for hunting?

I recently shot some Horniday Penn. conicals out of my CVA Kentucky pistol. They are similar to Buffalo ball-ets and weighed 240 grains. They were accurate but shot high at about 15 yards. Might shoot poa at longer ranges. I want to experiment more with conicals when time and weather allow.

Don

Not a Minie, but a belted type maxi ball. I have some 2 banded, 200 gn. hollow point maxi balls that shoot real well out of my Traditions kentucky. I also have some 3 band 225 gn. but they are near impossible to get down the barrel.

Ghettogun, who makes the 200 grain maxi? Can they be bought off the shelf or did you cast them your self?

Don

for giggles me and a friend tried a 250 sabot in his trapper with 30 grains of FFFg. shot was dead on but flat kicks!!!! I think I'd rather shoot a s&w 500 mag then that load again. tried it at 20 grains took some bite out of the recoil. don't remember how it shot on paper thuogh

I have shot a Lee .45 Minie out of a Walker with, I believe, 40 gr. fff, recoil was impressive, it was actually a bit more accurate at 50 yd than a RB. Never got to really give it a good workout though. I have also used a .50 sabot with a 240 gr .44 jhp out of a CVA Hawken pistol. Accuracy wasn't bad and power seemed to be up there.

I had bought these off ebay a couple years back, definitely hand cast. They are close to the TC maxi hunter. With Buffalo Bullets out of the picture now, Hornady and Speer are about the only muzzleloader suppliers left You may want to check their websites.

Back