• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie Ball Lube Recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debalan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm returning to shooting my re-pro .58 cal C.W. springfield musket after a lull of 25 years and I just don't remember what minie ball lube ingredients or proportions I used to use. I know it was partly bee"s wax and I would dip 50 or more at a time in the heated liquid lube in a flat basket I made from hardware cloth wire. Any ideas on what would work well as a recipe for hot dip minie ball lube?

Hey, welcome back! As you may recall, there are more lube recipes than there are minie shooters, and there's a LOT o' minie shooters.

Here's a starting point: 50% beeswax, 50% Crisco, with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil per pound of the other components. For real cold weather, more Crisco. For midsummer heat, more beeswax.

After using a home brewed recipe for a few years I switched to SPG Lube for all my bullets & Minies, it works great & isn't expensive when you buy it by the block rather than the sticks.

arquebus rooster red black powder 7 lube is very good as well and cheep and has i high melt temp aswell,
200 plus f.
bernie :grin:

arquebus i some times shoot at the pinjar range up by wanaroo at the perth muzzuloaders but it is a 148 k round trip.i most times shoot at southern districts up at bedfordale onley 6 klicks from me but t is not a big range.i did not no mandurah had a range lol
.bernie :grin:

No, you're right, I meant the Pinjar range. I was trying to cast my memory back too far, I guess. I shot up at Waneroo in 1979 at the Lever Action National Championships, they had a giant Model 94 Winchester on the roof of the clubnouse! That was back in the days of Stan Ruwoldt & all those guys from Perth & Danny & Billy Mitchell and Kevin Caimonos from Albany. Good times!!

pinjar range is twice the size now they have afew new clubs up there, the big bore rifle club the guys with the big double's a friend is a member there he shoots
.375 h&h ruger #1 and a 450 nitro on a ruger #1.its
quite a sight seeing all those big bores shooting .
bernie :thumbsup:

Back