• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Miniature cannon wheels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odentheviking

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have two 1/5th scale Napolian cannons and are in need of some wheels. The wheels are 11.5" diameter but a size close would work. Anybody know of any this small? Thanks, Paul.

For one of my small cannons, I made a naval carriage and salvaged the metal caster wheels from a broken floor jack at my township recycle center.

My medium size cannon has 24 inch wooden spoke wheels from an antique Goat cart.

Who is the manufacturer? Maybe if they are still in business they can sell you some parts.

btech said:
Check eBay. that's where I got mine.
Thanks btech, I have been looking on ebay but mostly what I find is old/weak baby buggie wheels, cheap mini wagon wheels, or complete cannons of this same style and now they are going for big bucks! The other issue I found w/these Old Napolian Copies is that the carriage seems to be about a 1/5th scale, but the tube is almost a 1/4 scale! Not sure why the scaled up the tube but still only bored it to 70cal.

zimmerstutzen said:
For one of my small cannons, I made a naval carriage and salvaged the metal caster wheels from a broken floor jack at my township recycle center.

My medium size cannon has 24 inch wooden spoke wheels from an antique Goat cart.

Naval carriage is a good idea Zimmer, but I was really hoping to keep these as field pieces. I did find this site: http://www.customwagonwheels.com/small-wooden-wagon-wheels.html
And they have some nice wheels at a pretty good price. Only problem is a correct ACW Cannon wheel should have 14 spokes. I have seen 12 spoke wheels on larger scale guns, but I think these 10 spoke wheels just don't look right and may be too weak to fire these guns. Think this same site has "Cannon wheels", but they only go down to 15" and I would really like to find a couple sets in 12" dim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, the site w/the 15" cannon wheels is this one: http://www.cannonwheels.com/

Paul Bennett said:
zimmerstutzen said:

Naval carriage is a good idea Zimmer, but I was really hoping to keep these as field pieces. I did find this site: http://www.customwagonwheels.com/small-wooden-wagon-wheels.html
And they have some nice wheels at a pretty good price. Only problem is a correct ACW Cannon wheel should have 14 spokes. I have seen 12 spoke wheels on larger scale guns, but I think these 10 spoke wheels just don't look right and may be too weak to fire these guns. Think this same site has "Cannon wheels", but they only go down to 15" and I would really like to find a couple sets in 12" dim.

Years ago, I needed some wheels for a cart and visited Whitmer's wheel shop in New Holland PA. These Amish guys made dozens of buggy wheels per day, repaired old wheels, etc. They were making some new carved spokes for one of those fancy circus wagon wheels when I was there. They will make almost any size or style, but I don't believe they go that small.

I had thought of that Mr. Z, but being in Colorado I don't know anyone that makes wheels of any size but was going to talk to a guy that makes custom wood doors.
I had also thought of talking to one of these "Cannon Wheel" makers and seeing what they charge for a custom/size order, but are sure they are up in the dozens of wheels per order.

The path I am looking at now is to get four 12" wheels and build two carriages just over 1/5th scale to match the two just over 1/5th scale tubes. That would leave me w/two true 1/5th carriages,(that can be repaired),for two true scale tubes.
Only problem w/that plan is not finding any 12" wheels that I think are correct/close enuff!

Anybody got an old carriage they wanna sell?

Do you need wooden wheels? If you locate one, a guy at a foundry can pour a few aluminum wheels. Maybe for just a case of beer. I just gave a form to a guy at a local foundry to make some copies of cast steel

WOW! Mr. Z that is a great Idea! Never thought of that but casting them in Aluminum is a great idea! I live in an area that is big in foundries and bronze casting.... maybe I will ask around about aluminum casting. Yes, I have two/three good wheels to work with/use as a pattern. Thanks so much for the help!

zimmerstutzen said:
Do you need wooden wheels? If you locate one, a guy at a foundry can pour a few aluminum wheels. Maybe for just a case of beer. I just gave a form to a guy at a local foundry to make some copies of cast steel

Paul I am in the same situation. I need 2 wheels for my CVA Napoleon from the 70's. I did get some 12" off ebay but they are too weak I think.
Have you made any progress on your cast wheels?
Thanks

I checked our local foundry and the price was way too high for alum cast wheels.
I found a Amish wheel maker on line that has many sizes including 12" for about $70.00 each.
The cast wheels were about $200.00 each.

Making wheels is a special skill. I tried making some for a carriage build on a small cannon and they are awful. That $70.00 per sounds like a legitmate price, albiet still a lot of money.

You may also want to check with HMR Cannons, www.hmrcannons.com, he makes "Wheels from 6" to 24"" according to his products page. What he wants for those wheels I don't know, but I understand they're period correct, etc., so it would probably be worth it to contact him.

Eisenhammer said:
You may also want to check with HMR Cannons, www.hmrcannons.com, he makes "Wheels from 6" to 24"" according to his products page. What he wants for those wheels I don't know, but I understand they're period correct, etc., so it would probably be worth it to contact him.

OK, I wrote these guys and they got right back to me. I asked about 10" cannon wheels because of my dream of building a 1/6th scale diorama, but my guess would be that 12" wheels would be about the same.
He told me they would be $275 a set of wheels.

Latest posts

Back