• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Double Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brooks said:
but I don't see how this gun is exactly junk.
Well then, I suggest you buy one. :thumbsup:
I think perhaps he was looking for some clarification, but you seem to feel that if someone doesn't just take your word, they don't deserve any kind of answer. I know you are very knowledgeable so I'm asking because it might save us all a lot of time by not questioning anything you say.

Have you considered as some have mentioned the issue of safety with a double barrel flintlock? It seems to me whatever classes you might have to pay for to obtain a license for a percussion double would be well worth it versus the liability of hunting with a makeshift flint double. If not, I hope you warn your hunting pals beforehand so that they stay well behind you in the field.

jdkerstetter said:
Are you sure that's not $250 each????

I would question any barrel sold at $125 each these days.

Sorry, it was the Colerain Barrel Co. (which is the custom barrel maker recommended by The Rifle Shoppe). And yes, they definitely said $250 for the pair, which I was taken aback by as well.

Jack Wilson said:
Mike Brooks said:
but I don't see how this gun is exactly junk.
Well then, I suggest you buy one. :thumbsup:
I think perhaps he was looking for some clarification, but you seem to feel that if someone doesn't just take your word, they don't deserve any kind of answer. I know you are very knowledgeable so I'm asking because it might save us all a lot of time by not questioning anything you say.

I didn't think I was being petty or nothing! :grin:

Zoar said:
we are telling you that to build or modify or do whatever you might need to get a GOOD double barrel flintlock one that shoots for hunting, you will spend about $3,000. and that is a boat load of money for someone who has no experience with flintlocks to spend.

*sigh* You're right, I have no idea what I'm getting into and spending $3000 on a form of firearm I'm completely inexperienced with would be a bad idea. Even if it would be awesome.

Zoar said:
Thus and since you are new to flintlocks, we strongly recommend you buy a single barrel smoothbore first. You could get one for probably around $500. Maybe even less. You will learn a great deal. You will use it to hunt and learn about that too. It will be well worth the money spent. :thumbsup:

You know what I might just do? When I first looked into flintlocks I had my eye on a nice .32 Kentucky Rifle by Pedersoli. It's a squirrel gun, and squirrel are a heluva lot easier to hunt than grouse. I could use that for a while and then make my decision about a smoothbore fowling gun.

My old man may just have to wait a while before I can hunt alongside him, but the wait will be well worth it if I bring some experience with flintlocks to the hunt.

One of the fun things about smoothbore fowlers is that you can "tune" them for what you are after. A patched round ball is deadly at shorter (around 50 yds or less) ranges for deer and with a light shot load you can bring down a lot of squirrels and rabbits. At the same time you can experiment to find out the best load for patterns and become familiar with it. Then you can become known as the guy who doesn't have to shoot twice at a bird.

Michael Oosting said:
Sorry, it was the Colerain Barrel Co. (which is the custom barrel maker recommended by The Rifle Shoppe). And yes, they definitely said $250 for the pair, which I was taken aback by as well.
Colerain makes many of the Shoppe's barrels. They normally list for $195-245 for most long barrels and $125-195 for pistols.

I would double (or triple) check that price. Colerain is not far down the road from me and I am betting that they don't wholesale them to the Shoppe for that little. Could be a wierd one-off but I seems aweful low to me.

Enjoy, J.D.

Oldnamvet said:
One of the fun things about smoothbore fowlers is that you can "tune" them for what you are after. A patched round ball is deadly at shorter (around 50 yds or less) ranges for deer and with a light shot load you can bring down a lot of squirrels and rabbits. At the same time you can experiment to find out the best load for patterns and become familiar with it. Then you can become known as the guy who doesn't have to shoot twice at a bird.
Very good point here.

Mike....can I call you Mike? Good....If your intention is to get a double flinter someday then start with the single barrel fowler. Much more versitile than a .32 and you will get the experience of working up shot loads.

You can probably get a nice fowler for about the same money that you would spend on the Pedersoli .32 and you will be able to do more hunting with it.

Frankly, if I owned only one flinter, it wouldn't be a .32. That is strickly a small game gun...no good for anything else....other than the fact it shoots cheap with buckshot. Bigger calibers make squirrels just as dead and kill bigger animals too....just some food for thought.

Enjoy, J.D.

you seem to feel that if someone doesn't just take your word, they don't deserve any kind of answer.
To be honest Jack, I really don't give a dam what he buys so there is no point in my taking the time to clarify, it would just go over his head any way.. I;ll just keep my opinions and 32 years of experience to myself so as to keep you and others from being overly offended. :idunno: The internet seems to be becoming a stupider place to spend time every day. :shake: Boring, boring, boring. :td:

jdkerstetter said:
I would double (or triple) check that price. Colerain is not far down the road from me and I am betting that they don't wholesale them to the Shoppe for that little. Could be a wierd one-off but I seems aweful low to me.

Here's the exact text of the email:

"Hi Michael,

There are some men that will assemble double barrel tube ( soldier tubes together, regulate point of impact ) but we do not. I can have the blank tubes made up; cut to length, threaded and taper turned, but they would then have to go to someone that could do the other work. It is a very specialized trade. 2 prepared tubes would be $250.

Regards

Scott"

jdkerstetter said:
Mike....can I call you Mike?

Sure can :grin:

jdkerstetter said:
If your intention is to get a double flinter someday then start with the single barrel fowler. Much more versitile than a .32 and you will get the experience of working up shot loads.

You can probably get a nice fowler for about the same money that you would spend on the Pedersoli .32 and you will be able to do more hunting with it.

You raise a good point! I'm looking at the American Fowler by TVM, any other guns I should look for?

Mike,

I may have to drop the Shoppe a line and get the dimmensions on those barrels. That is a great price for ML barrels today. Maybe because they are short and a straight taper....don't know.

Recommendations? TVM guns are well build and they use good components for a reasonable price.

If you want to go with something custom that will only increase in value over time and you are not adverse to spending a little more.....and I know you may not want to hear this but the our own previously and so unceremoniously introduced Mike Brooks is the "the man" for fowlers. His work is top shelf and affordable. He may have more gun building skills than tact but you must take a look at www.fowlingguns.com

Another option is to check out Chambers' kits. They use only the best components and can recommend somebody to build one for you to your specifications for a very resonable price for what you get. Again a must see at www.flintlocks.com

There are other recognized and some not so recognized builders of custom guns here too and if you just hang out a while you will figure out who's who in the zoo.

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Brooks said:
you seem to feel that if someone doesn't just take your word, they don't deserve any kind of answer.
To be honest Jack, I really don't give a dam what he buys so there is no point in my taking the time to clarify, it would just go over his head any way.. I;ll just keep my opinions and 32 years of experience to myself so as to keep you and others from being overly offended.
Ah, but you apparently do care what he buys, or you would not have offered him your remark. And, you are already keeping your "32 years of experience" to yourself by not clarifying your comment to him. Saying it would be "over his head" and that the Internet is getting dumber (meaning the members here) is really not becoming a professional who expects respect. None of us can learn from your vast knowledge if all you give are snide remarks to honest questions.

Yeah check middlesex village trading company. I hear they have some single barrel fowlers have you heard of them. :doh:

Okay, one caveat....Middlesex Village guns are made in India. I cannot say what the quality of them is but I am just a bit more than a little bit wary of them. For some reason, they do not have the vent holes drilled so you will have to do that, or hire it done, after you get the gun. The other thing is that for $750, you have to ask yourself just how well regulated are the barrels. I suspect that they just lay the barrels side by side and solder them together. One shoots here and one shoots there. Their guns may look good in the pictures and may work excellently for reenactors but if you want to hit what you aim at with one........well, be cautious. They may be okay but then again....when you spend only $750 for a double barrel shotgun, what can you expect?

Jack Wilson said:
Mike Brooks said:
To be honest Jack, I really don't give a dam what he buys so there is no point in my taking the time to clarify, it would just go over his head any way.. I;ll just keep my opinions and 32 years of experience to myself so as to keep you and others from being overly offended.
Ah, but you apparently do care what he buys, or you would not have offered him your remark. And, you are already keeping your "32 years of experience" to yourself by not clarifying your comment to him. Saying it would be "over his head" and that the Internet is getting dumber (meaning the members here) is really not becoming a professional who expects respect. None of us can learn from your vast knowledge if all you give are snide remarks to honest questions.
Jack, you make me tired. You are so incredibly predictable and boring. Go find somebody else to annoy. I didn't say the people here are stupid. In fact they have more patience than I do and they deserve a medal for helping this guy out when he continues to not take any advice from experienced people.

I wonder if some are made in pakistan it would not surprise me. I know that part of the world. Its hard to have anything to do with a modern gun in india. Now here is the guy building your Bess. Now look at whats on his bench. :hmm: I dont think this is India.That looks mauserish. Maybe the kyber pass. :hmm: Just sayin. Pakistan is not that good of friend I would hate to think they are getting money from us. Im sure some are made in india. But im suspicious.

3295445321_da6b86bfc9.jpg

Shine said:
Pakistan is not that good of friend I would hate to think they are getting money from us.
Have you seen the figures on what our government sends them in foreign aide every year? Enough said on that.

Country of origin aside, I will not be drilling any vent holes or doing anything else that will assist someone in firing one of these....or stand close to them when they are firing one. I just don't trust 'em. But I am the type that unbreaches every barrel I buy to verify the fit....even the best mess up.

Bottom line is that life and limbs are not worth the gamble to save a few bucks.

Enjoy, J.D.

Back