• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middle Eastern Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100_0025_zps7f805eb3.jpg

for the clicking disinclined ;)

(btw, BillnPatti -- i followed the link, copied the "direct" url from the right side of that page, clicked the image button in the reply and pasted the direct url to just the .jpg in the pop-up box... could have accomplished the same thing with {image} {/image} (except with square instead of curly braces))

I'm not a real expert on those but that butt looks more Indian than African. The Indian style was usually more straight and board like than the North African style which tended more to a curve.

Hi Bill. Wes is right. The gun is an Indian Matchlock long gun. Usually called a Toradar. Probably made in Northern or Central India. These guns were used up to the mid 19th Century, believe it or not. Most were 5 to 6 feet in length, but examples exist from as short as 3 feet to as long as 9 feet. The barrels were often fitted to the stock with bands of wire, rope, or even rattan. Others had iron or brass bands.
Overall, your gun looks like one of the many "Mutiny Guns" from the mid-19th Century. However, the swell at the muzzle leads me to believe that the barrel started life on a bit higher grade gun and was later refurbish for use on this gun. Does the barrel look Damascus?
If you have some more photos, especially of the barrel breech and pan area, I might be able to pin-point this a little closer.
Is that a trigger/lever on the bottom of the stock under the breech area? Or is that just a crease in the carpet? Looks like it is missing the trigger/lever to lower the serpentine.
Here are a couple pics to show what the longer gun looks like and the trigger/lever bar.
Anyway, your example would probably fetch somewhere in the 4-500.00 range if not missing the trigger. Thanks for posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back