• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint pistol (gun show pickup)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings.
Just picked up this up at the Alabama Kentucky rifle show. Was told it was Eastern European (possibly). I personally feel it is from some Ottoman emperial holding.
Interestingly, the sideplate appears to be inletted in it's broken condition. Ill try and post a good photo, but the rear lock screw covers the side plate's screw ring/washer, which is broken off on the top. Only the remaining part is inletted (or the plate was made open on top, which I doubt).
Any input appreciated. I imagine these parts have seen multiple repairs, replacements, and repurposings.

Attachments

• 20230114_062915.jpg
    20230114_062915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
No discernible letters or proof marks.Engraving is faint on the brass from polishing.
Engraved on the barrel is some bizarre creature. I thought maybe a crude sheep, but that doesn't seem fitting for a gun. Guy I bought it from said hairy armadillo. Thre gold cards are inletted into the barrel, and some of the wriggle engraving seems to go accross them. Strange, since gold is precious and you'd think theyd be engraved with something important. Oh and the frizzen is the old grooved style.

20230114_063037.jpg

Attachments

• 20230114_062934.jpg
    20230114_062934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
How would I check? Acid test?
Just wait a while, brass will tarnish, gold will not. If you want to test it quicker, just hard boil and egg, smear it on the material and watch it tarnish (or not) before your very eyes.

That is a period piece I would guess. Looks to be some badly worn lettering on it. I would guess maybe Farsi or Arabic... possibly Kurdish, but not Turkish I don't think. So you are looking at a European gun... maybe French... that somehow found it's way to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia or some other Middle Eastern country.... then again it certainly could be Turkish... I am by no means an expert. If you know anyone who is from that region, show it to him/her and see if the language is recognized. That will give you a pretty good clue. Who know, maybe it belonged to Mohammed himself!

As always, check and make sure it is not loaded. Horror stories abound! Looks to be shootable, but get it inspected by a competent gunsmith. Again, horror stories abound.

Just wait a while, brass will tarnish, gold will not. If you want to test it quicker, just hard boil and egg, smear it on the material and watch it tarnish (or not) before your very eyes.

That is a period piece I would guess. Looks to be some badly worn lettering on it. I would guess maybe Farsi or Arabic... possibly Kurdish, but not Turkish I don't think. So you are looking at a European gun... maybe French... that somehow found it's way to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia or some other Middle Eastern country.... then again it certainly could be Turkish... I am by no means an expert. If you know anyone who is from that region, show it to him/her and see if the language is recognized. That will give you a pretty good clue. Who know, maybe it belonged to Mohammed himself!

As always, check and make sure it is not loaded. Horror stories abound! Looks to be shootable, but get it inspected by a competent gunsmith. Again, horror stories abound.
Wow thanks for the boiled egg trick. Fascinating.
I am gonna have to look for lettering. I can actually read most of the Arabic script, although I might not know the words.
I checked the bore. It is not loaded, but it is deeply cratered inside the actual firing chamber, directly accross from the vent hole. Im guessing improper cleaning and overzealous vent picking. The rest of the bore isn't that bad. Probably was used in several skirmishes and repaired/rebuilt several times.

Wow thanks for the boiled egg trick. Fascinating.
I am gonna have to look for lettering. I can actually read most of the Arabic script, although I might not know the words.
I checked the bore. It is not loaded, but it is deeply cratered inside the actual firing chamber, directly accross from the vent hole. Im guessing improper cleaning and overzealous vent picking. The rest of the bore isn't that bad. Probably was used in several skirmishes and repaired/rebuilt several times.
Use the yolk to tarnish the metal... it has sulfur in it.

If you're going to shoot it, keep the load very light... you're not fighting crusaders these days. When you are talking about black powder guns that are likely more than a hundred years old, it is almost impossible to find one in good condition... meaning not badly rusted by today's standards. I generally do not shoot the antiques myself. Others have other opinions on the subject.

Try Google Translator for the Arabic... or an Arabic dictionary if you are old-school enough to actually have one. You'll likely find some place names and possibly a manufacturer/gunsmith.

My Arabic is long gone these days. I don't even know the alphabet any longer. All that's left are a few words of greeting and some jokes that are not for public consumption.

If it’s from the Ottoman Empire, then it may be from a Christian region. I don’t think Muslims allowed living beings represented in drawings, art, ect, in certain areas…. Could be wrong…

If it’s from the Ottoman Empire, then it may be from a Christian region. I don’t think Muslims allowed living beings represented in drawings, art, ect, in certain areas…. Could be wrong…
You are %100 correct. No pious and educated Muslim would decorate his weapons with human or animal figures. Too close to idolatry.
Makes me wonder even more about this gun. If the creature was engraved (or possible stamped with numerous little 6's which is the impression I get) after it had left Ottoman service, I cant imagine why they would choose this creature. Especially if it was done in the modern era. Im guessing Khyber Pass refurb.

Latest posts

Back