• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

micro torch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnston

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can a micro torch be used to silver solder items such as the front sight? Where does one purchase the low temp solder?

I have had no luck with the small propane torches, like the ones from Radioshack, in the area of silver soldering. An old smith told me a tale of fileing silver and fileing brass, mixing the two to make your own silver for soldering. :m2c: The higher the ratio of brass to the mix makes it "softer" and eaiser to work, or heat to melting. I would like to hear from others, also, if anyone may have the ratios worked out to be able to use the small torches. Any ideas??

Never had any luck trying to hard solder sights with a micro torch. It doesn't generate enough heat against the barrel. You can use a 60/40 mix silver to brass for solder. Just remember to use borax for flux and clean the parts well before starting.

Vern, Thanks for the reply and the ratio of brass to silver. Do you use MAP gas and oxygen?? or something else for the heat source?? As a welder, I have a oxy/acy setup, and use a brazing tip. Havent had the pleasure of using a MAP gas setup, but I hear its small, portable, relatively cheap, and can be purchased at home centers and hardware stores. Would it heat the barrel to a high enuf temp???

I am a certified welder too.
got a small mapp-oxy set-up.......sure heats things up alot quicker than regular propane!
...dont cut very well at all...tried on a piece of 1/8
steel .....nope...
...WV SCROUNGER ***

I've always just used propane or MAPP with a regular propane regulator/tip, one of the WallyWorld $12 specials. You can get MAPP gas at any hardware or builder's supply. You don't want to heat real fast when soldering iron or steel. If the flux burns off too fast, the surface oxidizes and the solder won't stick. I have an oxy/propane setup but I don't use it for soldering.

Back