• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mein Fruend update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Arroyo

Greybeard
Reaction score
I think that Mein Fuend is ready to go under the knife. Can you see anything that I may have forgot before I commence carving? Not alot of carving is planned...cheekpiece, tang and entry pipe finial.

BRJ_043.jpg

BRJ_044.jpg

BRJ_046.jpg

Looking good, and BTW, be careful, looks like you set the trigger in that last photo. :winking:

That's really pretty wood. I can't wait to see it when you finish. If you can, please take pictures as you go along. It'd sure be helpful to those of us who are trying to get up the courage to give it a try. Thanks :)

Can't tell by the photos, but it needs to be completely sanded at least to 400 grit before you start. I would strongly suggest the Bivens stab in method when you go for it. I have seen many guns ruined from poor cutting in with a parting chisle. If you don't have it already, get a copy of "GUNSMITH TIPS AND PROJECTS". There are maybe four articles by Bivins that would help you. Spend much time drawing the carving and refining it, before you cut. If possible study as many Jaegers as you can to try and get an idea and the flavor of the carving on them, they are a little different than what you see on later long rifles. Good luck in your venture.

Wick Ellerbe said:
completely sanded at least to 400 grit before you start.

This one has seen very little sandpaper at all. 90% scraped. Pin holes get a trough built up on them when I scrape, so they get re-leveled with a file or a bit of 200 grit on a sanding block.

Carving has been started, and with probably be finished tonight or tomorrow, depending on how good the football games are! :winking:

Hey Doc, does that front lock screw clear the ramrod? Bet that was a close run thing!

:bow: :bow:

My friend, you have too good of an eye! :shocked2: This one will have a tapered rod out of neccessity, or a faked in front bolt. The customer has not made his final decision.

Latest posts

Back