• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Made Meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, nice work young, strong man! Congrats as well. Nice rifle. I’ve got a custom .54 flinter with a 38” swamped barrel. I’m thinking hard about getting a .62 flinter - I know those “thump” seriously hard. Merry Christmas.

I set out today to kill a deer for meat. The hunt lasted about 10 minutes honestly. A good sized doe offered me a broadside shot at about 85 yards. I was wanting meat so I shot her through the lungs. I generally like to break a shoulder to secure them, but this time I didn’t want to waste any meat.

Didn’t matter. That big .610 RB poked a big hole in and out. She bled like the proverbial stuck hog, went about 5 steps and folded.

Did I mention that I’m really liking this .62 Jaeger? It has proven accurate and reliable. What more can a guy ask for?

View attachment 185046
Great picture. What do you put in that 62 rifle?

The load is 90 gr of Swiss 2F, a felt wad, pillow ticking patch lubed with mink oil, and a .610 round ball.
Thank you. What distance is it sighted in for? 90 grains seems like a bare minimum for that huge ball to be accurate beyond fifty or sixty yards. Do you know the rifling twist? I’m asking these questions for a reason. Last year Mark Wheland finished a 62 percussion rifle for me, and the success I’ve enjoyed with the caliber has enticed me to follow up with a 62 flintlock I can use in our late PA season. A kind member here sold me his 62 caliber British sporting rifle “kit” he had painstakingly assembled and I’m kind of fidgety about learning what experiences others are having.

Congrats on the deer. I can't help but notice that the scenery has that "Texas" look to it.Just where was this hunt?

Thank you. What distance is it sighted in for? 90 grains seems like a bare minimum for that huge ball to be accurate beyond fifty or sixty yards. Do you know the rifling twist? I’m asking these questions for a reason. Last year Mark Wheland finished a 62 percussion rifle for me, and the success I’ve enjoyed with the caliber has enticed me to follow up with a 62 flintlock I can use in our late PA season. A kind member here sold me his 62 caliber British sporting rifle “kit” he had painstakingly assembled and I’m kind of fidgety about learning what experiences others are having.
I took possession of this rifle shortly before deer season so time was limited for load work. This load shoots 1/2” groups (center to center) at 50 yards. I shoots about 1 3/4” high at that range. This is as far as I’ve shot on paper. It hits clay pigeons easily at 75/80 yards. I seem to hit milk jugs near point of aim at 100 yards. I know this isn’t quantitative, but I am very confident with the accuracy.
I cannot tell you the exact twist, but it is slow, well suited for round balls.
In time I’ll be able to answer if a greater powder charge yields any improvement in performance. It was more than adequate for the coyote and deer I’ve taken with it so far.

I took possession of this rifle shortly before deer season so time was limited for load work. This load shoots 1/2” groups (center to center) at 50 yards. I shoots about 1 3/4” high at that range. This is as far as I’ve shot on paper. It hits clay pigeons easily at 75/80 yards. I seem to hit milk jugs near point of aim at 100 yards. I know this isn’t quantitative, but I am very confident with the accuracy.
I cannot tell you the exact twist, but it is slow, well suited for round balls.
In time I’ll be able to answer if a greater powder charge yields any improvement in performance. It was more than adequate for the coyote and deer I’ve taken with it so far.
Another example of how fascinating black powder shooting is. Your gun is a reminder that every barrel is unique. The 62 percussion rifle i hunt with requires 100 grains FFG Swiss to get on target at 100 yards, 115 grains to leave a pretty good group, and 125 grains to consistently leave a +\- 2” hole regardless of how many shots are taken from a shooting rest. But that 125 grain charge is so the gun consistently gets absolutely straight POA trajectory at 100 yards with the 0.605” round ball I use. It’s not horrible recoil at that amount, but I’ll bet your 90 grain powder charge feels better! I am interested to hear what you learn as you experiment with loads. The bore on mine is 0.615”. Do you know your bore diameter? Who the maker is? Thank you and congratulations on your cool new rifle

@pamtnman Thanks. You are correct; this rifle are all unique. I’m accustomed to rifles with heavy recoil - but why beat myself up if it isn’t necessary, right? Whitetails here are not as large as other places. I focused on finding an accurate load and stopped once that happened. I’m curious to see later if accuracy holds together as I push larger powder charges.

I believe it is a Getz barrel. It has round bottom rifling. I’m not sure of the actual bore diameter- the O.018” pillow ticking patch and .610 RB load relatively easily. The rifle itself was made by Steve Zihn sometime in the 80’s.

@pamtnman Thanks. You are correct; this rifle are all unique. I’m accustomed to rifles with heavy recoil - but why beat myself up if it isn’t necessary, right? Whitetails here are not as large as other places. I focused on finding an accurate load and stopped once that happened. I’m curious to see later if accuracy holds together as I push larger powder charges.

I believe it is a Getz barrel. It has round bottom rifling. I’m not sure of the actual bore diameter- the O.018” pillow ticking patch and .610 RB load relatively easily. The rifle itself was made by Steve Zihn sometime in the 80’s.
Ok thank you. Looking forward to seeing your 62 evolve

Back