• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Measuring question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
In shooting a shotgun /smooth bore there's enough different terminology that I'm a little confused. Should I measure my powder and shot with a adjustable measure like I use on my round ball guns? I weighed 1.5 oz of 6 shot then put it in my measure and it came to 90 gr. Would that be an OK way to do this.Like in a square load 90 on the measure for powder and then for shot. Not that I'm shooting1.5 oz. Just trying to figure out the method to use. Thanks

Volume powder measures work real well for shot. 70 grain volume of powder is about an ounce of shot. Big shot will weigh a tad less then small shot, but not enough to be worth considering
60 a tad less then 7/8, 100 just less then an ounce and a half

Olde school proverb,,
"less powder, more lead,, shoot's further, makes dead"
The moral,, equal measurements aren't the best.
Use the adjustable sliding measure. Just simply adjust it for each component.
The "weight" of the powder, and/or the weight of the lead matters only when in load development.
Those "weight's" can be measured by "volume",, once you know what you need,, just adjust the volume,,
Get it?

Olde school proverb,,
"less powder, more lead,, shoot's further, makes dead"
The moral,, equal measurements aren't the best.
Use the adjustable sliding measure. Just simply adjust it for each component.
The "weight" of the powder, and/or the weight of the lead matters only when in load development.
Those "weight's" can be measured by "volume",, once you know what you need,, just adjust the volume,,
Get it?
This is a trueism. My typical 20 bore load of 70 grains 2F or 60 grains 3 F with an ounce and a half. Turkey I shoot two ounces most of the time, as I might be going out to thirty yards
Did a lot of the volume for volume but shoot better by upping the shot.
I have a new 11 bore. I figure it will eat 2-21/2 to pattern well, doubt that I will ever sling shot with it. I don’t waterfowl hunt, and my 20 will do in turkey my 28 will do in squirrel and rabbit. I can just hear John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn saying ‘case of too much gun’

Is this what you’re asking? With an adjustable measure using this chart you can measure your load.

Attachments

• 11DC2D3D-AACC-4ECB-B922-8ED118F5BD14.png
    11DC2D3D-AACC-4ECB-B922-8ED118F5BD14.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 0
This is a trueism. My typical 20 bore load of 70 grains 2F or 60 grains 3 F with an ounce and a half. Turkey I shoot two ounces most of the time, as I might be going out to thirty yards
Did a lot of the volume for volume but shoot better by upping the shot.
I have a new 11 bore. I figure it will eat 2-21/2 to pattern well, doubt that I will ever sling shot with it. I don’t waterfowl hunt, and my 20 will do in turkey my 28 will do in squirrel and rabbit. I can just hear John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn saying ‘case of too much gun’
Excellent observation. My 12ga. dbl barrel, Turkey and Trap is deadly on gobblers with 100 grains FF + equal volume of shot. Moving to a 20 ga. flint fowler I had to back way off on the powder as I was getting donut patterns the birds could walk though unharmed.

Back