• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

meanings of inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to put this question, but if not, Moderators, please move it where it belongs.

I am finally back to working on a Lyman GPR flint kit, and have been considering putting some form of inlay into it as I need to learn to do inlays anyway. I have read many posts here as to HOW to do inlay work, so that has been fairly well explained, but my question is WHAT and WHY? I have tried doing searches for the different inlays and their meanings, but have only had some luck/success. I know I have read many posts which said that many inlays were just a decorative feature, but keep thinking that at least some had to have meanings. Seeing the vast amounts of knowledge here, I'm sure someone knows the answer, because I can't seem to come up with much. Would any of you please tell me a bit about the various inlays used and the reasons why? I know this will be partly answered by who/what/when, but any answers will be appreciated. Thank you all.

Some inlays had meaning For example, mason symbols and some where just for decoration. :idunno:

Lonegun1894 :
The small bird is a Distelfink. Think of a German way to say thistle finch.
The German farmers liked these birds because the birds ate thistle seeds.

The fish is a religious symbol that was popular for obvious reasons among the very religious people of the time.

The moon was the basis for everything from planting to harvesting and its phases were closely followed. It was supposedly believed that if it was drawn or installed with the lower part of the cusp up it was bad luck and would bring on a drought.

Hearts and the somewhat malformed "bleeding heart" are religious symbols relating to Christ's love and/or suffering.

The eagle obviously symbolized our Nation however it was not used until after the Revolutionary War.
For guns following the War it is very popular.

The Hunters Star could represent the North star or the "Dog star", Sirus in the constellation Canis. Sirus is the brightest star visible from earth and is high in the sky during the winter hunting season.

The Cat's eye, a oval shaped inlay with pointed ends was thought to ward off evil or to allow the hunter to have cat like stealth.

The thumbpiece that is at the lower end of the barrels tang is often an oval or a shield but many different shapes have been used.

Just speaking in generalities, inlays were very popular following the Revolutionary War but as time moved on into the 1800's they became less popular.
This is not to say that the guns made thru the 1860's did not have inlays because several guns made during those years do have them.

Personally, I think a large hunters star or a crescent moon looks very nice on a half stock rifles cheek piece.

Although this is not a halfstock, as you can see I have been known to use several different inlays on a rifles cheekpiece.
franklinbutt.jpg

MBS used to have a lil booklet that told all the dif inlays & what they meant, etc.

Keith Lisle

Good looking inlays there, Zonie. Thank you for the explanation and hints. I am kind of leaning towards the religious symbols. But will have to see how this turns out seeing as I haven't tried this side of things before. Some day I will graduate to carving my stocks also--I hope.

I'm not a fan of non-functional inlays unless they're req'd for certain styles of LRs. As was said...some inlays do convey meanings, but many do not. The time period (1830- } when carving degenerated or was omitted, was the time that LRs looked like "junk yards" because of way too many inlays. To each his own, but the use of inlays should be kept to a minimum on most LRs, IMO....Fred

No, just for those 'squirrel moments'. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Zonie, thanks again for your info. As usual, your information is impecable and just means I learned something good and useful today. Another great day. :hatsoff:

Cheers, DonK

Anyone have any info on the pointing finger inlay? And no it's not the middle one.. :shake: :nono:

The often called hunters star could also be the star of bethlahem.
Many of the pennsylvania gunmakers were very religious christians.

I think that's the oft mentioned "Flying Fickel Finger of Fate" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sock it to me :grin:

Back