• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Max load and brass frames

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogo57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Several posts have mentioned that firing a lot of max loads will eventually loosen up pistols with brass frames.

Does that apply to pistols with steel frames, brass trigger guards and backstraps like my Colt 2nd Gen F-Series 3rd Model Dragoon?

No.

The problem is not due to the softer, more ductile material in areas that are not subjected to the physical stresses of firing the guns.
Things like the trigger guard, grip strap and front sight just kind of go along for the ride when a gun is fired.

The problem is that brass is very ductile. That means it doesn't take a lot of force to reshape it.

Every time a revolver is fired there is a very high amount of force trying to blow the barrel forward and off of the gun. Large powder loads exert more force than small ones.
That force in the closed framed guns like the Remington is resisted by the upper and lower part of the frame. Over time with a brass framed gun these areas can stretch, allowing the cylinder to move more than it should.

The Colt open top guns resist this force with the steel shaft which the cylinder rotates on.
At the rear this is threaded and pinned into the receiver. In a brass framed revolver the brass surrounding the threads of this pin can deform allowing the pin (and the barrel) to move forward.

Both the Remington and the Colt have another area of their frames that must withstand a great amount of force during firing. This is the area at the rear of the cylinder.
Every time a revolver is fired the cylinder is blown backwards against a circular area of the frame.
In the case of steel framed guns this is no problem however with a brass frame the ductile material can actually be "hammered" by the cylinders movement and this will deform the material.
Once deformed, the cylinder will move rearward much more than was intended with the original design.

Great way to answer the question.
Now Zoni answer the next question that will be asked.
Can it be repaired back to what it was if this occurs?

restrict the brass frame pistols to 'target loads' (no more than 24gr 3F loads) and save the hot loads for hunting or s/d purposes.
the pistol will last for a many years.

Poor Private said:
Great way to answer the question.
Now Zoni answer the next question that will be asked.
Can it be repaired back to what it was if this occurs?
You Asked For It. (Hey, remember that show? I know, I'm showing my age.)

Oh, to answer the question, I don't know of any way to fix a stretched closed frame or a semi-pulled out cylinder pin.

Also, I don't know of any way to weld or braze up a battered frame at the rear of the cylinder although there may be some brass brazing rod that would melt at a lower temperature. The big problem would be trying to figure out which brass the frame was made from and then trying to re-machine the surface.

Shooting a closed top revolver that has been stretched isn't too risky with light loads but the accuracy won't be very good.
It will also spit a lot of powder gas out the sides of the gun.
With the Colts there might be a little bigger risk though.
When the brass that holds the cylinder pin in place (the threads) starts to move, some kinds of brass will continue to move. Others will work harden which sounds pretty good until you realize that in a work hardened condition the metal may crystallize and break suddenly.

IMO, the best thing to do with a brass framed revolver that has been stretched or battered is to either relegate it to a wall hanger or salvage all of the usable parts for use on your next (steel) framed gun. The parts will interchange.

Can't repair 'em but they make great paper weights and knick-knacks! If you happen to have a VERY understanding wife...

Russ T Frizzen said:
they make great paper weights and knick-knacks! If you happen to have a VERY understanding wife...
No, no, no. SWMBO has a major league fastball. If there were any paper weights or kinck-knacks around like that, well, you can imagine...

Latest posts

Back