• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maryland Sutler tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Highlander

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So, I'm in the market for a Rev War wedge tent (with a bell for space); basically looking for something to save up a bit for. I've shopped around the usual suspects: Panther Primitives and Tentsmiths. I know the quality is great, especially with their pricing. However, I found the Maryland Sutler that makes tents for a somewhat better package deal. Yet I cannot find anything about them. Seems that they have been in business for quite a long time.

Has anyone here used their products, specifically their RevWar tents, and what did they think of them?

They must be mostly CW as I've never heard of them in Rev War circles in more than two decades of reenactment in Maryland.

It's about the same price as a Panther Primitive 1751 French belled tent, with you buying the tent poles at your local lumber yard. If you went just a tad smaller, the Panther British Dragoon Belled Tent with stakes and you buying the poles again at the local lumber yard is about $95 cheaper.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
They must be mostly CW as I've never heard of them in Rev War circles in more than two decades of reenactment in Maryland.

It's about the same price as a Panther Primitive 1751 French belled tent, with you buying the tent poles at your local lumber yard. If you went just a tad smaller, the Panther British Dragoon Belled Tent with stakes and you buying the poles again at the local lumber yard is about $95 cheaper.

LD
They seem to have tents for both eras. Here is a link for the Rev War stuff. Seems to be made of same material of other tents, Sunforger, but I've never heard of anyone talk about these guys.

I was looking at the Dragoon tent from PP. Dimensions should fit everything and lumber is fairly ship instead of ordering poles. Trying to keep cost low. And I thought buying the musket was the expensive part..

Yes I checked out their site before my reply. No idea why they are the Maryland Sutler, and located in PA :haha: .

It looks like a good tent. I mean for the collapsing poles, it's a good deal, but not astounding. You can lap joint the poles and use a pair of bolts and wing nuts with washers if you need to have shorter poles to get to and from an event...you don't need them sleeved with pipes on the end. I use solid 2"x2"x8' pieces of pine for my tents, with the uprights cut to 6'. I also paint mine so that moisture won't cause them to warp over time.

I also use wooden dowels instead of metal pins between the uprights and the ridge pole. They are hardwood and plenty strong, BUT if a wind catches your tent as you put it up or take it down and the poles flex in a bad way...you break the wooden dowels. When you use metal pins, you break the ridge pole or an upright or both. A lot easier to keep a piece of wooden dowel in your car and to cut a new wooden pin than to fix an upright or ridge pole at an event.

A used tent is often a very good bargain, and you should look around for such if you have the time.

LD

Another plus for a used (but not abused & moldy) tent is that they normally come with a set of ropes & poles - which can add up when buying a new tent.

Take a look at blockade runner I bought a wall tent from them a what I thought was a good price. They have a frame bells as well :hatsoff:

Back