• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maryland Goes Traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our of curiosity, just how cold is it in Maryland around 01 Feb.?

Can you even realistically hunt?

Maryland is and "odd" state, even when not talking legislation or politics.
For example, part of it is the "panhandle" which is up where PA and WV meet, and yes it can get pretty cold and windy up there in February, but...,
On this side of the mountains, it can also be only in the 30 degree range in February, OR even warmer. Some years my area has gotten several feet of snow..., and other years no accumulation of snow. We have a tough time clearing heavy snowfall from the roads where I'm at, because the county will not invest in the larger snowplows as they would likely sit unneeded for a few years between the years when we get a good snow.

We are more likely to get freezing rain, than a good snow. THAT is an interesting day in the woods, as while you sit awaiting the deer, who must move to feed because they are now wet and cold and need calories, you sometimes get loud crashing noises, as dead tree limbs succumb to the extra weight of a 1/4" coating of ice, and cut loose from the parent tree. So you get ready when one comes crashing down, as it might cause deer that are holed-up inside a group of trees to suddenly move if the crashing branch is close enough to them and their spot. :thumb:

The kids in my area were just told that since the school system has just spent $$$ to get good on-line teaching resources, NO "snow days" in the future. Which sucks for the DNR since on such days the teenagers who like to hunt deer would hit the woods and add to the harvest.

LD

I have lived and hunted whitetails in Maryland since 1976. This 4 day primitive season they added is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of.

1. Just about every hunter deer I know is burned out come January. Can't see a lot of motivation for wanting to deer hunt in February.

2. Just about every buck has lost it's antlers by then. A guy looking to shoot a doe can easily, mistakenly shoot a mature buck that has shed his horns.

3. Can't be much fun field dressing a doe that is carrying that late in her pregnancy.

4.Season runs for 4 days. February 1-3. That is a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Who can hunt those days except for people who are retired or don't need to work. Not too many people are taking of work to hunt this season.

5. How many people will this season attract?

6. Who's idea was it to have it and why.

Back