• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

March to Trenton

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN F

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I particpated in the march to Trenton yesterday..It was an incredible experience to say the least..I had conflicting stories about exact distance but it was around 9 miles..To march that far, at a good pace with only 1 break was really a humbling experience..to think washingtons troops did it hungry, undersupplied ,ill equipped and in the face a raging noreaster snowstorm is mind boggling. then to fight the best infantry in the world at that time only to turn around and march back home..It has left me with even more respect and honor for these soldiers who endured so much...

As measured the march was 9.3 miles to the Monument...and another half mile or so to the Barracks.
This event was created to make the 235th anniversary of the Battle memorable. We were to have done a special crossing as well, but the river just never dropped low enough in time to do so. Sometime during the day it probably did, but at first light it was still just above the limit.
The Crossing and March were done for the 225th, and now the 235th. It will not be an annual event. After temporarily crippling themselves, few would do this again next year!
We had to start the march by 7:15, to arrive by 11 am when the battle started. We maintained a pace of 3 miles per hour, as measured by passing landmarks. This is a pretty fast pace. We had just one short stop of 7 or 8 minutes- just long enough for people to start stiffening up- and back on the road. When we got a little a head of schedule, we had to maintain the pace. With a mile or so to go and everyone foot sore, slowing down is not feasible...you slow down, start to limp, start to favor your feet, slow down even more, until you can hardly walk. Which is what happened to me when we arrived. THEN I felt blisters. Jogging in the battle was torture.

contact washingtons crossing historic park..they can help you...

glen, i think george needs to get a DNA profile on matt as i think he has part greyhound/gazelle.. when we crossed the creek matt was up and down thehill and back to help others that kid never stpped moving........He had the column really moving too...
Seeing george huzzahing every unit that passed him going up to the monument was really awesome...george is a class act and a really great guy as well as a good friend now....outwaters did a great job with that event ...huzzah to you guys!!!

Thank you, I will pass that on. It was actually 9. 6 miles, and done in 3 hours, 16 minutes!!!
It was brutal, but it was impossible to slow down once we started to hurt, or we would have taken 5 hours or more.
My blister only hurt a little now, but the muscles still are somewhat stiff on Monday evening...

Sounds like fun (both genuine and sarcastic)! I did the "dress rehearsal" for the crossing for the first time this year, but had family commitments for Christmas Day and yesterday. Had a great time on the 11th and hope to do it again next year.

i can finally straighten my right leg out today,,and my baby toe blistering isnow bearable...

Don't forget, the general planned it for a day that habitually the enemy did not expect hostile action (smart..., very smart), did the whole operation in secret, thus he gave his boys the best possible chance anybody in battle can get, complete surprise, and included an amphibious crossing to boot. :grin:

It's a good thing that Washington never attended any formal military schools, as he would've known not to attempt what was an impossible mission. :grin: The Germans awoke to Americans attacking...., didn't something like that happen to the Germans on June 6th, 1944 in France? Some folks never learn... :haha:

LD

A little too fast a march?
Read army manuals and their suggestes march speeds. For example the german army manual calls for 4 kilometers/hour for combat marches with heavy backpack, ammunition etc.
Training marches with a lighter 13 pound backpack without weapons are 6 km/hour and it is either 20km,25 or 30km.
On a few occasions, the training personel really wore us out: a 20 km night orientation march by yourself and after that a 35km back to the barracks in a squad setting. After the first march you were already worn, but the second one put the squad leader to the test. Interesting fact: Even though we were worn out really bad, we still made 4km/hour. This was with 18kg back-pack and weapons. Water was rationed to what you carried and food the same.
Now, these marching speeds are for people in reasonable physical shape. If you have older folks, untrained and physically more challenged participants, 4km/hour is still feasible.
So 9.3 miles is about 15km, making the march easily possible in 4 hours. The given time of 3:45 did not leave much room for short breaks either and people did probably not drink correctly either.
Problems:
Marches on foot need training. Good socks or foot wraps correctly placed and worn in boots help.
A good foot wrap is often better tha a poor sock.
That what a standing army does now and did back then even more often. Marching on foot.
If you get blisters on such a short march there are several reasons:
Your foot's skin is not soft enough. A thick dry skin layer makes it easy to develop blisters.
Your socks don't fit correctly and tight enough. Movement creates a fold that will rub and cause a blister pretty quick.
Use NIVEA cream on the inside of the boot. It will soften up the leather from the easier to penetrate inside. This is done 2 or 3 times during wearing in.
You did not have enough magnesium input to prevent stiff muscles and cramping...

In retrospect the march was too fast. It had to be done in 3hrs, 45 minutes, but we did it in 3 hrs. 16 minutes... the first half was done right on schedule, but we gained 15 minutes on the 2nd half...Once we realized we were ahead of schedule, we could not slow down- people were too foot and muscle sore to do that. It is MUCH easier to maintain a speed than to slow down at that point, because the pain goes up when you slow down. Then you begin to limp and favor your feet, and go even slower. Once we stepped to the side of the road, I was a cripple, and had not had a problem except for some minor aches before that.
Not that I will do it again, but in our "lessons learned" notes we will increase the time of march and slow down to under 2.5 mph.
We had one pit stop of about 8 minutes, refreshments provided. The weather was sunny and in the 40's. Everyone also carried water. We should have had water available when we finally arrived as well. My canteen was getting low.

What was the average age of the participant and what did you carry baggage wise?
I think: Muskets/rifles; ammunition (reenactment cartridges in bag, water in correct canteens, haversack/backpack.
So what was the the weigt of the gear?

tecu i cant speak for everyone else but i was carrying about 30 rounds of ammo,gloves,scarf mittens .pair of socks, musket cleaning tools,canteen , bayonet, and a wool blanket in case i got cold,several apples and 2 extrra water bottles .. in retrospect i probably could have reduced some stuff but i tried to carry what i thought a soldier would have had on the march.. however i was well fed rested and not marching wet in a blazing noreaster....

I know how your feel probably felt. I did a 10 mile trek in period shoes in hilly terain and my feet felt like hamburger at the end. Good job! :thumbsup:

The committee decided we will explore repeating this in 5 years. Undoubtably the march will begin earlier and go slower, but will thus be disconnected from the crossing somewhat, with many being bussed to the march later.

Back