• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scota@4570

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had the Tap-o-cap since 1975. I lost the paper punch, recently I sourced a 4mm paper punch. However no roll caps were to be bought anywhere.

If found an on-line source. Tintoyarcade.com. The have lots. They are real people who answer the phone and return calls. They are a bit pricy. There is no hasmat fee asked, shipping is cheap and fast.

The role caps don't work so good anyway. Just too much paper is trying to blow through that tiny vent hole. You can do away with the paper if you harvest the dots off the role. I used to do that and used 12 dots in the cups.As many as 15 sometimes. It all worked ok but the prime-all and the FA-42 formula is better still. I have walked this road for many years and now this is the best time for them.

Put the punched out cap dot in first with the dot facing up. Then a tiny scoop of powder, tamp it down and seal it with the Duco/acetone mix. The cap pieces never get to the nipple. Use ground up match heads, black powder or smokeless pistol powder. You may have some slow ignitions but they all work. Yes, some of these are corrosive but you really should clean your guns anyhow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back