• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#10 Percussion Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy, everyone. Brand spanking new to the forum.
I was wondering where you guys source your caps from?
I have an old ASM .44 1851 Navy that I was gifted. Was my wife's grandpa's, lovingly cared for his whole life till he got ill.

It sat, rusted, and got gnarly. I fancy myself an amateur gunsmith and have brought many old irons back from the dead.

I was able to (after months of sourcing parts and even making some myself) get it running tip top. However, there is one little issue. I've had it for 2 years and haven't even gotten to fire it once.
I can never find any percussion caps for it anywhere. Every time I see a site advertising some for a reasonable price, they turn out to be a scam. Every time I find some in stock, they require me to spend $400 on multiple packs before I can get them shipped.
I've talked to my local FFL, and they recommended a local reenactment troupe, but hard to get a hold of them. I live in rural MO.
Can any of you recommend? It tears my soul up every time I see the thing un-sooted, sitting in the beautiful case her grandpa made for it.
Please help me finally fire her grandpa's favorite wheelgun.

Thank you, much.

-Cowboy

I put myself on Midways notifications for items I need. Was able to obtain another 1,000 a couple months ago. Got my first batch at a local Big R store. You have to be quick on the stock notifications. I'm sure other sites do this as well. Good luck.....I know it can be frustrating.

I put myself on Midways notifications for items I need. Was able to obtain another 1,000 a couple months ago. Got my first batch at a local Big R store. You have to be quick on the stock notifications. I'm sure other sites do this as well. Good luck.....I know it can be frustrating.
Appreciate the kind words, it can be frustrating. I've considered finding an unobtrusive way to convert it to 45LC just so I can shoot it at least once, but I feel like that defeats the gun and takes away from it's mystique.

I have an old ASM .44 1851 Navy that I was gifted. Was my wife's grandpa's, lovingly cared for his whole life till he got ill.

It sat, rusted, and got gnarly. I fancy myself an amateur gunsmith and have brought many old irons back from the dead.

I was able to (after months of sourcing parts and even making some myself) get it running tip top. However, there is one little issue. I've had it for 2 years and haven't even gotten to fire it once.
I can never find any percussion caps for it anywhere. Every time I see a site advertising some for a reasonable price, they turn out to be a scam. Every time I find some in stock, they require me to spend $400 on multiple packs before I can get them shipped.
I've talked to my local FFL, and they recommended a local reenactment troupe, but hard to get a hold of them. I live in rural MO.
Can any of you recommend? It tears my soul up every time I see the thing un-sooted, sitting in the beautiful case her grandpa made for it.

Thank you, much.

-Cowboy
Go to 22reloader.com get all the stuff you need to make your own they work Great

Here is something that will get you going. The kid’s plastic ring caps for toy cap guns will work. They aren‘t as good as proper caps but they will suffice.

Use a needle and remove the paper from inside the cap, exposing the chemical. If you want you can dribble a few granules of black powder into the cups to increase the energy. Then spray them with hairspray and let them sit overnight. However you may not need to use any black powder; you just have to see how they work.

I have used these with my percussion rifle with 100% ignition if I prime the nipple with a little fffg.

Thank you, much.

-Cowboy
I read recently in Muzzle Blasts magazine, I think, that CCI reps at some industry meeting said that production will be ramping up. I know we aren't supposed to "hoard" powder & caps, but maybe we should all SLOWLY build up a supply to weather any future "shortages" such as we've seen with the Hillary Election Scare and the recent Covid/Social Upheaval/Biden election scare. I have an ASM Navy in .36, the model with silver plated trigger guard. ASM's were nice! Best of luck with your project!

I asked on their site, but they haven't deigned to reply... Who's No. 10 cap does their kit match up with? CCI #10s are vastly different than Remington #10s.
Their #10 fits Pietta new army perfectly.
They don't reply or answer emails apparently.
5ddefense ships from the same address at the same price for the same products only difference is they ship quickly.

Back