• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type83

32 Cal
Reaction score
I want to attempt to make some paper cartridges for the Brown Bess. What size forming rod should I use for .69 ball? The one kit online comes with a 3/4” dowel but I keep reading that you’re supposed to use one the same size as the ball you’re using. Any info would be great.

The dowel size should be the size of the ball, and tapered at the end like a pencil to make it easier to choke the ball with string. Paper size is vital so the cartridge slip fits down the bore after pouring the powder and lubing the ball end is important.

Now we need the tutorial for turning down the mandrel to the ball diameter for someone without a wood turning lathe or a list of sources for the mandrels.

Very informative video @maillemaker.
I sell the templates and mandrels at www.forth-armoury.com.

But, one way to make mandrels if you have no way to cut them down is to build them up. You can start with the next-size-down dowel rod and then carefully wrap them with clear packing tape. Masking tape will work also but I like the slick surface of the clear packing tape. Wrap up the dowel rod until you hit the desired diameter.

For .69 caliber you could start with a common 5/8 dowel (.625) and work up from there.

I used a French style cartridge, no string. The former was slightly under bore size. There is a dimple in the front of the dowel. I form the cartridge, put the ball in the top end and fold the paper over the ball with a dab of glue. next is the powder in the open end and that end is folded over. With the size of my fingers and arthritis I cant deal with string.

I sell the templates and mandrels at www.forth-armoury.com.

But, one way to make mandrels if you have no way to cut them down is to build them up. You can start with the next-size-down dowel rod and then carefully wrap them with clear packing tape. Masking tape will work also but I like the slick surface of the clear packing tape. Wrap up the dowel rod until you hit the desired diameter.

For .69 caliber you could start with a common 5/8 dowel (.625) and work up from there.
I just bought one of your .69 kits 😀

I used a French style cartridge, no string. The former was slightly under bore size. There is a dimple in the front of the dowel. I form the cartridge, put the ball in the top end and fold the paper over the ball with a dab of glue. next is the powder in the open end and that end is folded over. With the size of my fingers and arthritis I cant deal with string.
I had wanted to try these

I had wanted to try these

I make french cartridges too, they’re more like paper shotgun shells.

With the ball end being pre-wrapped and not pinched.

However I don’t use glue, I make a mixture often referred as brewers pitch, bees wax and pine rosen with a small amount of cooking oil. I did the ball end until is coated, then once dry i pour powder in.

Great informative video.
Back in the early 1980's I made my version of these for my .54 using a half inch dowel.Makes for quicker second shots.
Any kind of good typing paper will do.
Cotton string to seperate ball from powder.
I dip the ball end in a mixture of bees wax and tallow.
When wanting to shoot rip the paper end off.Pour your powder in barrel.Stuff your ball home behind it and your ready.
The paper is the patch.
WiLYAkv.jpg

gW7WVV4.jpg

b467siO.jpg

8Zmyhki.jpg

Do you have a historical source for the making of the French style of cartridge? I'd like to make some.

Thanks for all the great information here. I've been watching this thread with interest since I acquired a Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine earlier in the fall. I have yet to shoot it but thought shooting with paper cartridges might be easier on fingers for shooting in colder weather. I see both 69 calilber and .715 balls mentioned for use in the cartridges. Assuming both would work? All I have is .735 balls. Any reason to not use the green automotive masking paper instead of brown paper for cartridges? Just asking because I have a huge roll of the green stuff.

Thanks for all the great information here. I've been watching this thread with interest since I acquired a Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine earlier in the fall. I have yet to shoot it but thought shooting with paper cartridges might be easier on fingers for shooting in colder weather. I see both 69 calilber and .715 balls mentioned for use in the cartridges. Assuming both would work? All I have is .735 balls. Any reason to not use the green automotive masking paper instead of brown paper for cartridges? Just asking because I have a huge roll of the green stuff.

Green paper won't look historical... but otherwise color shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Now we need the tutorial for turning down the mandrel to the ball diameter for someone without a wood turning lathe or a list of sources for the mandrels.

Very informative video @maillemaker.
Sorry I'm late to the party, Gus.
I saw a guy mount his electric hand drill in a vise. Then chucked a short starter rod in it. Then turned on the drill, using the set button to keep it whirling.
Then he went forth with sandpaper and in short order had the dow rod to desired diameter.
I hope this helps someone.

Back