• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making a grease hole in a Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 10 yrs. ago ,I did my Mountain rifle in local walnut, and in .40 cal. Left the 1 1/8 inch grease hole w/ the Forstner center hole as it was. Since I put grease in it , can't say anyone has looked into the bottom of the hole. I put extra grease in the bottom ,and pregreased patches on top. Works well. ......oldwood

Have examined several old long rifles,and the patch boxes contain amounts of hardened patch grease. It was hardened and sort of amber colored. Couldn't determine what it was made from , but most likely was a waxy compound.

I posted this question to another forum but thought ya'll might have great input as well. I getting ready to start my .32 caliber Kibler SMR build and want to add a grease hole. I find a lot of pics showing various styles, I'm partial to the Gilispie oval shape. I know I can use a Forstner bit. I don't really like the imprint left in the bottom. I would rather shape the bottom of the grease hole. I am thinking of using a spoon carving knife. Does anyone have comments or suggestions?
The imprint is very authentic!
And entirely appropriate.😜
Embrace the tiny hole!
And once you put in yer dab of greeze can you see it! Loosen up!💆‍♂️

The imprint is very authentic!
And entirely appropriate.😜
Embrace the tiny hole!
And once you put in yer dab of greeze can you see it! Loosen up!💆‍♂️
I know I'm over thinking it. Thank you for your post. I've taken a break to gather thoughts and just get my head back to building a kit. Not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I agree, the Forstner bit is the way to go. Once the hole is filled with grease you won't see the pilot markings. What you are considering with a spoon chisel seems a good way to have an accidental "Oops" and ruin the appearance of an otherwise beautiful rifle.
Thank you, I'm convinced to use the forstner bits.

I've drilled 10+ grease holes in rifle stocks. Maple , ash , walnut and elm. Bit is 1 1/8 " , Forstner , with the brace square end cut off , so the bit can be held in an electric drill. The spiral on the point is dulled, so only force from the drill motor end , will cause the drill to bite into the wood. Place the stock on a rug ,on the floor , so no damage is done on the cheek side. Stand on the stock with both feet , and drill the grease hole. My preference of what to carry in the hole is , greased patches. The grease holds them in place, and when in demand , are easily removed to load the gun. Pre-greased patches are one way to speed up the loading process, w/o using a loading block. .........oldwood

I've drilled 10+ grease holes in rifle stocks. Maple , ash , walnut and elm. Bit is 1 1/8 " , Forstner , with the brace square end cut off , so the bit can be held in an electric drill. The spiral on the point is dulled, so only force from the drill motor end , will cause the drill to bite into the wood. Place the stock on a rug ,on the floor , so no damage is done on the cheek side. Stand on the stock with both feet , and drill the grease hole. My preference of what to carry in the hole is , greased patches. The grease holds them in place, and when in demand , are easily removed to load the gun. Pre-greased patches are one way to speed up the loading process, w/o using a loading block. .........oldwood
Thank you, this is very helpful.

Since the topic is already here, how would one go about carving the teardrop shaped grease hole as in this picture on page 1?
119772-20220204-112333.jpg

Back