• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

making a grease hole in a Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this question to another forum but thought ya'll might have great input as well. I getting ready to start my .32 caliber Kibler SMR build and want to add a grease hole. I find a lot of pics showing various styles, I'm partial to the Gilispie oval shape. I know I can use a Forstner bit. I don't really like the imprint left in the bottom. I would rather shape the bottom of the grease hole. I am thinking of using a spoon carving knife. Does anyone have comments or suggestions?

I agree. Also not all were done by the rifle builder. The owner of the rifle would sometimes add it. That being said it could be done by many means that make sense. I have seen oval, round, square,rectangle on originals. Some have sort of a "ramp" coming out of the hole in the direction of the butt. Presumably to wipe the patch in that direction? I know from experience that mountain people did what made sense and worked for them. Study some original photos and copy one that works for you. You can get the proportions figured out from photos also. While you're at it, how about adding a feather hole to the toe of the stock just back from the trigger guard!!
James

I agree. Also not all were done by the rifle builder. The owner of the rifle would sometimes add it. That being said it could be done by many means that make sense. I have seen oval, round, square,rectangle on originals. Some have sort of a "ramp" coming out of the hole in the direction of the butt. Presumably to wipe the patch in that direction? I know from experience that mountain people did what made sense and worked for them. Study some original photos and copy one that works for you. You can get the proportions figured out from photos also. While you're at it, how about adding a feather hole to the toe of the stock just back from the trigger guard!!
James
I have seen many of the styles you mentioned. I like the Gilispie oval grease hole. I have read about feather holes too. I will give it serious consideration. Seems like there are as many variations of feather holes as there were grease holes.

Good luck with your project. If you need help with examples let me know. I have a good bit of books on southern rifles. I can post some photos.
James

Good luck with your project. If you need help with examples let me know. I have a good bit of books on southern rifles. I can post some photos.
James
If you could post a few examples I would really appreciate it. I realize it is time-consuming. A picture helps me visualize applying period correct design to my contemporary work.

20220204_112142.jpg

Sketch of original from Jim Webbs book.

20220204_112259.jpg
20220204_112142.jpg
20220204_112259.jpg
20220204_112333.jpg
20220204_112418.jpg
20220204_112541.jpg
20220204_112601.jpg
20220204_112625.jpg

I apologize for the poor photo quality. Hard to photo a photo. Note that some of rhe holes are flat bottom and some are concave at the bottom. Different construction methods. Hope this helps.
James

Thank you so much.
You are welcome. I'm kinda partial to that rectangular one with the end sloping up to the butt. Seems like it fits that nice little rifle. I am far away from knowing much about these old guns but is my observation that most rifles had a cigar shaped box or were plain. Appears that a small percentage had grease holes. As far as east TN and western NC guns go. I could be way off on this though.
James

Interesting idea--something I hadn't seen (but I'm nowhere near as PC as many here are). Was it ever the case that a man would put the grease hole INSIDE the patch box, allowing the box to cover up the grease but also hold patches, spare flint, or such? I tell you that's what I would do!

Interesting idea--something I hadn't seen (but I'm nowhere near as PC as many here are). Was it ever the case that a man would put the grease hole INSIDE the patch box, allowing the box to cover up the grease but also hold patches, spare flint, or such? I tell you that's what I would do!

I saw a rifle at the show in Alabama from the 1700's that was as you ask about. It still contained the original grease and one patch.
Owner took the patch out and showed it to us. It was really interesting to see the grease and patch.

I saw a rifle at the show in Alabama from the 1700's that was as you ask about. It still contained the original grease and one patch.
Owner took the patch out and showed it to us. It was really interesting to see the grease and patch.
Really? Well, I'll be! I guess my and his brains work alike! Thanks for sharing this. If I ever get the funds to design a custom build, this will be on my list of things to incorporate.

You are welcome. I'm kinda partial to that rectangular one with the end sloping up to the butt. Seems like it fits that nice little rifle. I am far away from knowing much about these old guns but is my observation that most rifles had a cigar shaped box or were plain. Appears that a small percentage had grease holes. As far as east TN and western NC guns go. I could be way off on this though.
James
I have seen the variations as well. The more I read about the SMR the more I see what was practical for the owner and the area they lived in. The original SMR was the do-everything household gun.

I posted this question to another forum but thought ya'll might have great input as well. I getting ready to start my .32 caliber Kibler SMR build and want to add a grease hole. I find a lot of pics showing various styles, I'm partial to the Gilispie oval shape. I know I can use a Forstner bit. I don't really like the imprint left in the bottom. I would rather shape the bottom of the grease hole. I am thinking of using a spoon carving knife. Does anyone have comments or suggestions?
Drill it shy of depth then grind off the point of a paddle bit then finish to depth if you want a round hole if oval you'll have to carve it out.

I know I can use a Forstner bit. I don't really like the imprint left in the bottom. I would rather shape the bottom of the grease hole. I am thinking of using a spoon carving knife. Does anyone have comments or suggestions?
A little dark- stained Acraglas will hide anything in the bottom of a grease hole, and provide a bit of a seal also.

Back