• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

making #11 caps, what touse as a binder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out using acetone mixed with shellac and the results were just so-so. The mixture was still somewhat fragile. I switched to acetone with duco cement and it works much better. Can’t help you with the ratio as I had a glass seasoning bottle (Paul prudone blackening seasoning) half tube of Duco and filled to top with acetone.

I use one drop of duco cement to one tablespoon of acetone. Still need to purchase a glass eye dropper to put the mixture in caps, plastic ones don't hold up.

I don't like the Duco/Acetone mixture sitting around for long. When I did that the mixture had rubbery strings in it after a while. I think the Ducco coagulated, or binded with impurities. I just use a small 1" round and 3/4 inch deep ladel. About half acetone and 10 drops of Ducco, mixed with a popsicle stick. It will a hundred caps and then some. I discard any left over, and start with a fresh mix next time I have a batch of caps. So far it has worked flawlessly as far as the caps being reliable.

just got my cap making kit and read somewhere to mix acetone and duco cement as a binder . is this right?,and what are the ratios to mix . any help is appreciated thanks in advance
YT is a gold mind for this information, but the Hairspray or duco cement with acetone are probably the best two methods and if primeall isn't available then toy caps and match heads do work in a pinch. This material will become very hard to obtain in the very near future most likely so learn and accumulate all you can now while the getting is good! Last resort - A good old fashion bow and arrow and Big A$$ Knife! :thumb:

I use duco cement and acetone. I remove around an ounce of acetone and add entire duco cement. Shake to mix. I have a dropper to put in to drops in each cap that I've used priming compound in. Let dry 24 hours.

I use one tablespoon of acetone to three drops of duco cement. Make a fresh batch for each use. A few shellac flakes in denatured alcohol also works well. Here is one that works well and is cheap. Three drops of Elmer's school glue into a tablespoon on water. well shaken in a small bottle. A pinch of fast pistol powder ( I use 700X) mixed up with acetone. is my best so far. If you use hairspray, its best to use several light coats. Some hairsprays seem to kill the charge.

YT is a gold mind for this information, but the Hairspray or duco cement with acetone are probably the best two methods and if primeall isn't available then toy caps and match heads do work in a pinch. This material will become very hard to obtain in the very near future most likely so learn and accumulate all you can now while the getting is good! Last resort - A good old fashion bow and arrow and Big A$$ Knife! :thumb:
I don’t know why more guys don’t use the ww1 primer compound. This is the absolute easiest primer compound to make. One pound of each chemical will last you a lifetime. They are easily obtained on the internet at this time. Potassium chlorate, antimony trisulfide, and sulfur are the 3 ingredients. Pm for the ratio if interested. The one hiccup with this recipe is that these make a corrosive compound that has to be cleaned with water. This is not a big deal for the muzzle loader community as the propellant we are using is corrosive as well. I recently tested this compound in some “reloaded” large rifle primers and it works as well as factory primers.

just got my cap making kit and read somewhere to mix acetone and duco cement as a binder . is this right?,and what are the ratios to mix . any help is appreciated thanks in advance
That's what I'm using. Hole tube of duco cement and just six ounce acetone. Acetone from dollar store. I got the one said 100 percent acetone. I keep in glass bottle.

Back