• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Magazine for Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garandman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a good magazine (i.e. periodical) for traditional muzzleloading.

Any suggestions?

Seen that one....with a buncha pics of Indians (I got nuthin ginst native Americans) on the cover, I wonder how broadfly they cover the subject.

My interests include:

1858 New Army revolver
1860's Springfield originals
Am Rev / Civil War arms
CVA / Traditions repros
And maybe a litte ML hunting

and other general ML topics.

They cover all that? Or just indians?

garandman said:
Seen that one....with a buncha pics of Indians (I got nuthin ginst native Americans) on the cover, I wonder how broadfly they cover the subject.
Yeah, it's called "Muzzleloader" cuz it's all about Indians. :wink: Looking beyond the cover might have been informative. It's a great magazine. :thumbsup:

I did look at the Table of COntents on the website for a recent issue. Pretty obscure, non-descript article titles. Didn't really inspire me to read any of the articles.

And the cover art is ALLLLLL Indians, for like months and months of isses so, ya know..... its kinda a theme....

Given the topics you list I doubt if Muzzleloader is the magazine you're looking for.I've taken it for a number of years and don't recall ever seeing any articles on percussion revolvers or rifled muskets.Most of the articles cover a time span from the mid 1700s to the end of the fur-trade period about 1840 as far as guns are concerned.

I'll have to agree with Scots Jim, Muzzleloader is a great mag, but may not be what you are looking for. Its articles tend to be more history-heavy, and generally cut off around 1850. I can only recall a few articles on percussion revolvers, and I've been subscribing since the 1980s. Perhaps you would be better served by one of the many Civil War mags that will deal with revolvers and CW rifles. CVA/Traditions doesn't get much, if any, press, either. There are regular hunting articles, however.

As for cover art, ML Mag uses alot of Griffing and Buxton artwork, and they tend to paint alot of Indian stuff, so there you go. I have seen them use Teter and a number of others, though.

Rod

If you want a magazine that has only things your interested in and nothing else, then you'll have to print it yourself and then somebody will come along and say, Yuk, who wants to read that. I take muzzleblast and Muzzleloader and read what interest me. Sometimes there's several articles and sometimes one or none but you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Deadeye

Although no magazine is going to have all the articles your interested in all the time,give a look at The Backwoodsman magazine.They've had about as many articles on shooting percussion revolvers and off the shelf muzzleloaders as any of the others,primitive hunting articles,etc.I've taken it for years and always found at least one or two articles of interest every issue.

Have to agree with Scots on Backwoodsman. Its about more than muzzleloaders but I found Muzzleloader Magazine top heavy with articals on flintlocks and building flintlocks. I don't own a single flintlock so I lost interest quick. Muzzle Blast had a little more variety but its material started to repeat its self and got boring. Backwoodsman continues to keep my interest because it covers mostly percussion rifles, pistols and revolvers as well as Military surplus arms, knives, survival, old timey ways of doin things and down home food. Look forward to every issue.

Don

Another thing about Backwoodsman too,it deals with
stuff that fits the average guys pocket book.Not everybody can afford to spend two or three grand for a custom built rifle. :thumbsup:

Good point Scots. Lots of articals about repurposing old stuff and making stuff from items one has on hand.

Don

Go to muzzleloadermag web site, then to Campfire Topics,there you will get a feel for the magazine.See the web site Round Ball listed,They do not discuss ANYTHING after 1840.PERIOD,and they will be quick to point that out if you post.Lots of experts there.
I read Back Woodman,,good magazine,if it shoots Charlie will write about it,most of the articals are written by readers,hows that for covering just about everything.
You might have to read more than one magazine to cover your topics,,and that isnt a bad thing.
Cant speak to the other mags listed by other posters,did get Muzzle Blast and others,try them out and let us know how it went.

Thanx guys - this was the kind of first hand info I was looking for.

I'm thinking Backwoodsman and Muzzle Blasts are what will be most suited to my interests.

And maybe a Civil War magazine.

Muzzle Blasts and Backwoodsman are great magazines but not especially traditional although do have articles about such.

For devoted to traditional,,,,,, Muzzleloading is about it. There's On the Trail for trekkers, etc,

I like all facets of black powder including BPCR's. The old Black Powder Report covered it all, but went by the way side for being honest in an evaluation of a product and getting sued. Heard the magazine won, but at a cost it just couldn't recover from.

Mags like those news stand slick muzzle loader Magazines seem to be just printed infommercials for products. They are merely cloned from the modern gun magazines.

I stopped getting most of the tradtional outdoor magazines because I was paying for a book of ads and little actual content.

Hunting has changed dramatically here in a half century. Small game is virtually non-existent as is open hunting land. The pheasant hot spots of my youth are now miles of suburban sprawl.

traditional muzzleloading is pretty much the same. There have been some changes. Seems some folks get really hung up on whether a material is historically correct while ignoring the fact that their own is machine stitched with polyester thread and covers their fruit of the looms.

I heard there is a magazine about the French and Indian War that has several great articles about muzzle loading in the day. I have never had the opportunity to examine a copy.

garandman: Muzzleloader (6 issues- $20) is geared towards re-enacting as either a longhunter or mountain man. There will usually be one article per issue about the actual shooting of a muzzle loading firearm. In any event if you are not interested in clothes and accoutrements that may not be the best pick.
Muzzle Blasts (12 issues- $40) is the official magazine of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association. It deals a little more with the shooting and a little less with the clothes and accoutrements. There is some overlap between the two. If you like competitive shooting then Muzzle Blasts would be better.
Years ago Dixie Gun Works published a Black Powder Annual. This annual dealt a lot with later period muzzle loading firearms (say 1840-1865) plus black powder cartridge guns and of course earlier- pre-1840 as well. There are still some back issues available for around $4 each and you might like them the best given the types of firearms you mentioned.

Muzzleloader Mag is the only one I take as it covers the Colonial to Early American eras. I'm a history buff so very little of it's content is lost on me.

I think sometimes when folks say "traditional" muzzleloading they're talking about flintlock and caplock firearms using blackpowder as a propellant vs inlines and BP substitutes.Traditional means one thing to one person and something entirely different to others.For one person it's Pensylvania style longrifles,for another it's an Civil War musket or Colt's percussion revolver.

Back