• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mag-spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if it is safe to use a Mag Spark 209 Primer Adapter conversion for sidelocks on a Lyman .54 cal GPR. I contacted Lyman, but they won't comment on any product that they don't sell.

maniac424 said:
Does anyone know if it is safe to use a Mag Spark 209 Primer Adapter conversion for sidelocks on a Lyman .54 cal GPR. I contacted Lyman, but they won't comment on any product that they don't sell.

Got one for the GPR thread and little time lately to play. Figuring to have it in case of really awful weather.

Yes it is but it only slows your shooting down and at times needs pliers to remove the screw on part of the contraption. 209 primers are much, much more than should be needed to ignite your powder charge.

Removal of that "screw-on" part of the contraption (especially after an extended range session) has been the only negative I've experienced with the Mag-Spark unit on my T/C "Hawken".
To get it off for cleaning I wrap the threads with a piece of leather,gently hold it with small pliers and unscrew it.
Given the sourcing issues for my favorite caps ( RWS 1075's) in recent years...AND the fact that as a former competitive ATA Trap shooter, I'm sitting on 3-4,000 shotgun primers...the Mag-Spark has been a GREAT choice for me for "fun-shooting".
Note:I haven't conducted an exhaustive study to evaluate the effect on p.o.i. or group integrity when switching from RWS caps to 209 primers.

MoefromNY said:
I've used magspark on my traditions hawken with no problem with ignions. But like some here said sometimes the 209 primer gets stuck.
Im curious what 209 primer most guys are using. I'm just wondering if primers other than Winchester ones are a pain to remove too.

Clarification:
The part which can be difficult to remove is the piece which screws INTO the breechplug, in place of a nipple, not the part which screws ONTO the fixed piece holding the primer.

I like mine just fine. It is helping me use up a bunch of Win 209's and preserve my RWS 1075's..Win-Win..!! :thumbsup:

there are a few brands of 209 primers out there. Like cci,federal I find if I clean the cup where the primer is installed with a wet patch the primer doesn't stick as often. And you do this every few shots

Mine came with an allen wrench too.
The slot for it tends to fill with crud after a long shooting session however, and the wrench won't go far enough in to get a good grip to break it loose.
Pliers and a small piece of leather have been working OK though.

Latest posts

Back