• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman trade rifle/.62cal Green Mt.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've not got the handle on the search engine here. All my queries come back with 500 responses.
Question: Will a Green Mt. .62 cal IBS smoothbore barrel fit on a Lyman trade flintlock? Seems like it would be a quick and easy (dirty?) way to try the Fowler game.
Pete

Nope. 62 cal GMs are one inch across the flats lymans 15/16".

Lyman (investarms) did make a "prototype" barrel in 20 ga (62 cal). They are rare and I was fortunate enough to purchase one when I brought my lyman plains rifle 58 cal. I got the gun 2nd hand, barrel is stamped "lyman middlefield conn." and also has the Investarms stamp/proof marks. I called lyman and got a denial that they ever sold this but both Dixon's and TOTW have seen other examples.

The regular 15/16" GM barrels are close to a drop as my TCs are but that won't get you a smoothie ( do they make a 15/16 54cal smoothie?).

Some say 62 cal is too big for a 15/16 but mine is still together after many years of use. Further if you look at lymans load data pressures actually drop for loads as the caliber increases.

I have a drop in barrel for 15/16" TCs/lymans/investarms that is 12 ga with a full choke chrome bore. It was made by Toledo in Spain and bears their proof. Some say "too thin"; it has been proofed to 10,000 psi and a max 12 ga load is ca. 2/3 of that. I fleabayed that barrel NOS and I imagine there are more out there if you look hard enough.

P.S. Navy Arms was the importer for the 12ga barrel but they knew/know squat about it if you try calling them.

P.P.S. the above barrels were perc but I'm sure could be adapted to flint.

Hi MP, Glad to hear someone else got one of those Toledo barrels. I bought mine from Navy about 25 yrs. ago for $26 + shipping. I've shot some very heavy loads in it and it's never flinched but everytime I mention it on here seems no one believes a 15/16" barrel could be 12 ga. I used to have it in a Lyman trade rifle stock but have since sold that stock and now shoot it in a TC.
Good barrel, light, kicks like a mule.

Back