• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman smoothbore barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetrash078

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 54 cal GPR and was wandering if anyone makes a smoothbore barrel for it. And if not could one easily be made from a factory replacement barrel?

I'm sure you could have an extra barrel drilled out to become a smoothbore, but watch for thin spots around the dovetails and barrel flats and drilled and tapped areas, not sure how large you could push it before breaking through...

If just the rifling is drilled out of a .54 barrel, you should end with a .56 caliber smoothbore, like T/C once offered...

Depending on the barrel width across the flats, you may be able to go as far as a .58 or .62 caliber, again watch for thin spots around the connections...

I don't know of any smoothbore barrels for the GPR, but I agree with Musketman: The easiest way to go would be to buy another Lyman .54 barrel and have it drilled out to smooth. Also, as MM said, don't get crazy and drill it out too thin! :shocking: This way, you can pull your wedge keys, popout your rifled tube and snap in the smoothie. :thumbsup:

I think I saw drop in smoothbore barrels on Log Cagin Shop website. They be for TC's though.

Java Man

Track of the Wolf has the drop in TC barrels that can be modified to fit the gpr by there smiths,or you could do it.
They have 2 smooth bores,one in 54 for a flintlock and one in 50 for a caplock.Both are 15/16 and 32 inches.
They run $160 and $75 for the smithing charge,then youed have shipping cost.

Ouch, I think i'll just have my local smith drill a factory barrel out to what ever he thinks is the max safe diameter for the barrel. It is a 54 cal rifle, so maybe 58 or or 62 cal. smoothbore. :hmm:

Ouch, I think i'll just have my local smith drill a factory barrel out to what ever he thinks is the max safe diameter for the barrel.

That would be a good idea, stick with standard calibers so you can get pre-made wads, don't have him drill it out to some unique caliber like .59 3/8 caliber... :haha:

Yeah no doubt, I imagine 59 1/2 cal balls, wads and card would be a little hard to come by. I think 58 is as big as I should go. I wish someone would make an affordable smoothbore of decent quality. I was going to get the barn gun ERA puts out but, I have to many things going wrong right now. So if anyone from T/C, Lyman, Pedersoli, Traditions, ect,ect,ect read this please make one for us working stiffs who have kids, a wife, and a mortgage. After all smoothbores were originaly the cheap gun, now people pay $700-1500 for one. Irony sucks :m2c:

Well WT, boring out an existing barrel sounds like a lot of effort. However I saw out on ebay item # 7118891209 is a 32" .54 Caliber Blackpowdr Octagon Smoothbore barrel that ends on Dec-10-04 16:08:05 PST. Seller says flats measure .945".

The 15/16" channel on your GPR is .9375, so you might think about which is easier - boring out a barrel or grinding ~.0038 off each flat? Out to be do-able with a file and a jig. Just an idea, I thought I'ld pass the info along to give you another option.

good luck and best regards
shunka

The 15/16" channel on your GPR is .9375, so you might think about which is easier - boring out a barrel or grinding ~.0038 off each flat?

That would also work, but then you would have to reblue/rebrown the flats you just removed the metal from, an added step to concider...

Oh - I thought the GPR's had 1" barrels. I might have to re-think my plans now.
: I had planned on getting a 54 Flint kit, new L&R lock from TRACK that matches the plate size then a smooth barrel in 1" .58 smoothbore octagonal with underrib- or a 1" smoothbore barrel and underrib.
: 15/16"- is that correct - absolutley, for sure [email protected] - please.

I bought one several yrs. ago from Navy arms, 15/16" 12 ga.
drop in fit on TCs and the cheaper Lyman rifle(not the GPR)
but could be made to fit one. Don't know if Navy still has any, they weren't expensive. I still have mine, shoot it on a TC sometime. Any gunsmith should be able to make you one cheaper than boring out a rifle barrel.

Yeah- the Lyman trade gun has a 15/16" bl. but I still think the GPR is 1". Any verificiation form those with one??

Back