• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman New Model Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle346

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking hard at buying one right now(as we "speak") and looking for an informed opinion. Looks like it's been used but definitely not abused and comes with the mold as well. Wondering how much that gun should bring, current market value, and if anyone is up to speed on the quality and handling.

It depends on who made it. Trying to figure that out can be confusing. I'm going by memory, so I could be a little off. Here's my best shot.

Look under the rammer on the barrel.

Octagon with a U in it...... Uberti.

ASM/SM or circle with DGG in it........Euroarms.

Palm tree......Palmetto.

PAP in diamond.........Pietta.

Thanks Capper. Gotcha...guess I was having a "Duh" moment thinking that just because it's an older weapon that it was actually made by Lyman and I have more history with that manufacturer than some of the imports. I can't get my hands on it to check a proof mark.

I'm thinking a little over two bills will buy it. I'm going to see if there's an inspection period before I jump on it for any more than that.
Thanks again...

I don't think Lyman ever made a gun. They just have them made for them. Like Cabelas does too.

$200 seems a bit high. Even if it's a Uberti. The Lyman name on it will always bring the price down. You can get used Uberti's for $150.

Figure about half the new price if it's been shot.

That Lyman brought $190+30 shipping. I bought a brand new 1858 New Army Pietta, discounted from $270 to $199 and 100 roundballs for $4 more from Cabelas shipped.

Back