• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman molds...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Before I get the hammer and the punch out, can the alignment pins on Lyman molds be pushed out? I just tried running ball with a single cavity .530 mold and it is leaving a small ridge. I can see a little daylight through the halves of the mold when held up to a light. There was a tiny ridge around the edge of the cavity. I removed it by carefully rubbing it on 600 grit wet/dry paper placed on a sheet of glass. That half looks good. Need to do the other side but, the alignment pins are in the way.

Also, accordingto my calipers, I've got .002 thousandths to go for perfect round. Any suggestions? Thanks

I just checked out the Lyman WEB page for mould rebuild kits and the parts list doesn't show any alignment pins. you may need to take it to a machine shop.

Thank you sir,
Decided to find out for myself..........whooo boy!

The pins came out easily enough with a large pin punch and a small hammer. After carefully refacing the mold.....looks like perfection. Now, getting them back in? noooooope! Those pins are soft enough to flare when tapping them back in. Must have to use a hydraulic press. oh well, guess I'll have to drill these pins out and have some new ones turned on a lathe and pressed in.

Thanks again guy....

Why not check with a local machine shop to see if they can: 1. put the pins back in for you with their equipment; or 2. have stock material to make new pins that will fit? It will be faster, involve a lot less work, and get the job done. Normally, all you should have done was return the blocks to Lyman, and they would have removed the burrs for you. They have been in business for a long time because they stand behind their products.

From "MSC" (Manhatten Supply Company) get a "Ball Gage" the exact size of the mold. Insert gage and ream with slightly oversized reamer (again MSC) as compared to the original pins. Also order a pin gage .0003 (+.0002/-.0000) over reamer size and make new pins and install. That will work,,, except you've already "bungled" the half you "refaced" and will now have a parting line no matter what you do.
Originally, you probably would of been better off sending it back to Lyman with an explaniation of the prob and they would of made good on it at their expense.
Anyways,,, that was the kind of luck I had with them in the past. Lyman=good company,,, period.
I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear,, but it IS the long & the short of it. (sorry)

I got brave (desperate?) and decided to try it myself. I turned a steel rod on the drill press with a file and polished it with 600 grit paper. Cut off the proper lengths and pressed them in.
Poured a few balls and Dang, It worked! The balls miked out nice and round, and no ridges, the halves lined up perfectly.
Must've gotten very lucky. Now that I know about Lyman Warranty, I'll just send them back next time.
Thanks guys, appreciate your help!!

Latest posts

Back