• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend just picked up a Lyman .54 GP. It hasn't been shot in 20+ years as he knows the history of the gun. Previous owner R.I.P.
I ran the ramrod down the barrel and compared it to where the B Plug face should be, I believe it is loaded as it is over an inch shy of where I believe the breech face is. Should we cap it and try shooting the ball out? The previous owner only used real Black from what I understand, and I figure a #11M should touch it off fine.
On top of that, the nipple won't budge, and I'm using a new nipple wrench. The screw for the "cleanout" hole is bunged up, missing most of one ear of the screw, could it be tight against the nipple? How would one extract that little inset screw? Looks like around a #6 size if I recall.
It will be a couple of weeks before we get together again for me to tinker with it.
I'm pretty excited to try and get this up and running for him.

I'm pretty sure they have a patent breech so the ramrod may not go all the way to the back of the breech. Pour a little rubbing alcohol down the barrel and see if it comes out the nipple. Put a rag there to keep it off the stock. I would be leery of shooting a ball out if I hadn't loaded it myself.

Did you, @Caniborrowsomeammo, run a damp patch down the bore? If there was an obstruction or load, you would feel the air pressure against the ramrod. If there was nothing in the breech, you might hear the air whistle out through the nipple.

Since this rifle has been possibly been loaded for over 20 years, its not really the best idea to shoot the obstruction out. It might work or it might not. The best practice would be to apply some penetrating oil to the nipple several times over the course of a week or so. Use a good nipple wrench apply a little loosening torque and tap the wrench with a small hammer. The combination of penetrating oil (such as Kroil or one of the other penetrants) for several to many applications and the application of torque and vibrations from taping the nipple wrench will often break the nipple loose. Once the nipple has been removed get the proper grease gun fitting (zerk fitting) and a grease gun to push the obstruction out.

Watch
@Idaho Ron's video on removing a stuck ball using a grease gun.

Removing a stuck bullet in a muzzleloader - YouTube

He has had success removing balls lodged in a barrel for over 20 years. Best and safest approach. Not as messy as one would think.

Grenadier, He's going to run a borescope down the barrel. And I told him about the wet patch down the bbl.
Gun is at least 40+ years old.

Hopefully, it's not loaded, then to work on getting the nipple out.:oops: I have AeroKroil, use it all the time. Patience.
I've been meaning to get a long zerk for my T/Cs they are 1/4 x 28 thread, you know, just in case, instead of 10 exciting forum pages of removing a stuck ball;).
Does anyone know the thread size on the Lyman? Metric I imagine? I can look it up.
Thanks to all for the replies.

Just ran a rod down my GPR barrel and it stopped about 1 inch from the nipple. Should be empty. I`d fire a cap on it and see what happens, it will either blow air out the muzzle, fire and go off or the cap will ignite and noting else. My bet is its empty or at worst has a dry ball, remember the ball alone is over half an inch. That doesn't leave much room for any powder.

Good old liquid wrench to the nipple, let it sit a day. Do you have a ball extractor? Gently drop that down the bbl . A lead ball will give a dull think. Steel breech a metallic clink. If unsure, gentle pressure with twisting and you will dig into the ball, if present.

A friend just picked up a Lyman .54 GP. It hasn't been shot in 20+ years as he knows the history of the gun. Previous owner R.I.P.
I ran the ramrod down the barrel and compared it to where the B Plug face should be, I believe it is loaded as it is over an inch shy of where I believe the breech face is. Should we cap it and try shooting the ball out? The previous owner only used real Black from what I understand, and I figure a #11M should touch it off fine.
On top of that, the nipple won't budge, and I'm using a new nipple wrench. The screw for the "cleanout" hole is bunged up, missing most of one ear of the screw, could it be tight against the nipple? How would one extract that little inset screw? Looks like around a #6 size if I recall.
It will be a couple of weeks before we get together again for me to tinker with it.
I wouldn’t touch it off, it might be loaded with 60 grains of Red Dot….

You may ultimately wind up having to remove the breech plug; let us know how you make out, and good luck! Could be things are seized up or corroded in there. They are sturdy guns.

Did you, @Caniborrowsomeammo, run a damp patch down the bore? If there was an obstruction or load, you would feel the air pressure against the ramrod. If there was nothing in the breech, you might hear the air whistle out through the nipple.

Since this rifle has been possibly been loaded for over 20 years, its not really the best idea to shoot the obstruction out. It might work or it might not. The best practice would be to apply some penetrating oil to the nipple several times over the course of a week or so. Use a good nipple wrench apply a little loosening torque and tap the wrench with a small hammer. The combination of penetrating oil (such as Kroil or one of the other penetrants) for several to many applications and the application of torque and vibrations from taping the nipple wrench will often break the nipple loose. Once the nipple has been removed get the proper grease gun fitting (zerk fitting) and a grease gun to push the obstruction out.

Watch

He has had success removing balls lodged in a barrel for over 20 years. Best and safest approach. Not as messy as one would think.

In that video it also shows how to remove a nipple that is stuck. But it must be unloaded or the powder neutralized before the nipple is removed.
My guess is he will try other methods to remove the bullet that will take pages and pages of replies.

Grenadier, He's going to run a borescope down the barrel. And I told him about the wet patch down the bbl.
Gun is at least 40+ years old.

Hopefully, it's not loaded, then to work on getting the nipple out.:oops: I have AeroKroil, use it all the time. Patience.
I've been meaning to get a long zerk for my T/Cs they are 1/4 x 28 thread, you know, just in case, instead of 10 exciting forum pages of removing a stuck ball;).
Does anyone know the thread size on the Lyman? Metric I imagine? I can look it up.
Thanks to all for the replies.

If there is no bullet in the barrel my video shows how to take the stuck nipple out.

I’m with Tasbay on the dry ball theory. Could be the reason it wasn’t fired all them years.
As to the possibility of it being loaded. What’s the problem with firing it. It’s either going to go boom or not. Sure isn’t gone to explode.

Use a helper and have the barrel held down in a vice with padded jaws. The helper rapidly pushes a tightly patched jag down the barrel while you check for air blowing through the nipple. The vice thing is only to make it easier to push the rod rapidly down the barrel.

Seeing as how this thread is getting in-depth Blow cigarette smoke down the barrel then push a ramrod and patch down it ,,, smoke comes out the nipple its empty and not blocked. You can usually hear air being forced out the nipple when you shove a ramrod and patch down anyway.

My money is still on the barrel was empty from the first... or a dry ball

Watch

Does Kroil damage Blued barrel finish? I have some stuck choke tubes in pedersoli 10 gauge that haven't budged with choke wrench.

Back