• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh.
We are talking about two different holes.

My GPR only has two holes thru the tang and they are clearly there for the two screws that hold the tang in place.

With this in mind, I thought about the small, roughly 1/8" diameter hole that is drilled into the rear of the hooked breech plug.

This little hole in the hooked breech is for tooling.

Any holes other than the two that hold the tang into the stock are most likely for a rear peep sight of some kind.

The tang itself on the current production does have a third hole threaded for a sight, similar to the later production TCs.

The Lyman 57 "Gpr" peep sight fits the GPR rifle with a tapered plate that fits between the sight and the tang. The third hole is threaded for that purpose and the long wood screw that is screwed through the tang into the stock is removed, a longer screw comes with the sight and screwed through the sight base, the tang and into the stock. The longer screw is used to make up for the thickness of the sight, adaptor and tang.

The hole in the tang is where the rear screw of the Lyman 57 Rear aperture sight is attached to the rifle.

As my eyes went south I refitted both .45 rifles with the Lyman Rear Aperture adjustable sights. Very solid and doesn't jump about when the rifle is fired.

Some of the T/C Rifles had that same screw hole to help secure their rear aperture sight.

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch Schoultz said:
The hole in the tang is where the rear screw of the Lyman 57 Rear aperture sight is attached to the rifle.

As my eyes went south I refitted both .45 rifles with the Lyman Rear Aperture adjustable sights. Very solid and doesn't jump about when the rifle is fired.

Some of the T/C Rifles had that same screw hole to help secure their rear aperture sight.

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch;
I received your packet a while back and have read it twice so far. I can't wait for the weather to break and to try your system out. I've always believed that bore condition is the most important aspect to accuracy.

I didn't mean to refer to the tang in my earlier post about the clogged hole. I meant to say BREECH PLUG.

I'm going to need that receiver sight because the front sight is getting way to fuzzy for these eyes.

Where is the hole in the breech plug? I am not aware of any such a thing unless it is part of the channel leading to the side of the Patent breech.44.

Anywhere else I would be inclined to leave it plugged

Dutch

Dutch Schoultz said:
Where is the hole in the breech plug? I am not aware of any such a thing unless it is part of the channel leading to the side of the Patent breech.44.

Anywhere else I would be inclined to leave it plugged

Dutch

Zonie answered this question a few posts back. There is a 1/8" hole in the back of the hooked breech plug that was used for tooling. It seems to be a blind hole and it was filled with some soft clay like material.

Re plastic rods slipping out of the ferrules. I also ran into this, and the wood ramrod also moved. I guess it was a couple thousands to small. My solution was wrap waxed dental floss around the front most ferrule. This kept the ramrod in place and would last the season. Pretty easy and cheap to replace when it wore out.

Get rid of the noodle. I had one and it was garbage. Order a good unfinished hickory rod from Track of the wolf and either 10/32 or 8/32 threaded brass ends depending on what your ball puller and jag threads are. Then install the ends and gorilla glue the ends on and then drill and pin each end so they do not come off. Sand lightly and stain. By doing it this way it will only cost U a few bucks. Your other option is to order one from Track already finished, it is however fun to make your own.
Now as to your mold size, I have the exact same rifle. I shoot a 535 ball as well as a 530 ball and I have both molds. I use .018 pillow ticking and beeswax and unsalted lard (shortening) for patch lube. My 54 Lyman GPR is capable of hitting a 10 inch gong off hand at 100 meters with both size balls. It does not seem to matter. I use 90 grains of 2f Goex in my loads. U will like yur rifle for sure. The Lyman GPR will shoot better than U can.
Yes I would consider replacing the nipple. One way to tell if U need to replace it is if the hammer blows back to half cock with a 90 grain powder load. If it does not go to half cock after shooting from blow back yur good to go with that nipple. It is always a good idea of have 3 or 4 extra nipples in your possibles anyway.
One thing to keep in mind is that U have a paten breach. This needs to be cleaned when you do your terminal cleaning after shooting. I use a 30cal nylon bore brush warped with a flannel cleaning patch. I push it down the bore into the breach and twist and turn then withdraw. I do this until the patch comes out clean. Then patch bore and breach dry.

Back