• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR current production quality ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this is getting confusing here but we are discussing 3 different guns. Lol.
1) New or newer Gemmer by investarms
2) The older style Lyman Great Plains by investarms
3 Lyman Great Plains Signature series by Pedersoli
So to clarify Your last two Lyman signature series were dull?
No the Pedersoli Great plains series are really nice. The Lyman Great Plains are dull. This is all just my experience, other guys or ladies, might have great experiences.

I would hope the muzzle-loaders Gemmer is better quality than the older Lyman GPR. It costs nearly 3 times as much as the Lyman GPR I bought new in 2000. Mine has turned out to be a very good shooter, but it has had its problems. I've wondered what it could be if made right to begin with.

Freed from the Lyman price-point, muzzle-loaders/Investarms may show us. Then again,I've been known to dream.

How are the pedersoli flintlock models working out for everyone? I have been eyeballing them as a first flintlock rifle.

From the OP, "I've been reading some bad reports on the current production rifles".

"They came from two separate businesses. The other from Jedidiah Starr on both rifles the bluing have a very light blue that I can see the metal through the blue. I am very disappointed in the quality."

That has been a bunch of folks opinions for the last 5 years or so.

Welcome to the world of Lyman.
MY Investarms Gemmer Hawken, works for me, has decent wood, you must finish all the metal, but in the end, you get a decent rifle IMHO. I own a Capper & A Flinter and they both work fine. My older Capper is an Investarms/Lyman GPR and I think it is a fine rendition of what a Hawken could have been. I think the newer Investarms Gemmer Hawken (GPR) (NOT Pedersoli) is not as refined as the older ones were from Lyman. Meaning yo need to remove more wood, more shaping, and more finishing on the metal. I also think the Pedersoli's are closer in finish to the original Lyaman/Investarms GPR's.

I would hope the muzzle-loaders Gemmer is better quality than the older Lyman GPR. It costs nearly 3 times as much as the Lyman GPR I bought new in 2000. Mine has turned out to be a very good shooter, but it has had its problems. I've wondered what it could be if made right to begin with.

Freed from the Lyman price-point, muzzle-loaders/Investarms may show us. Then again,I've been known to dream.
you can't compare the price to something you bought 20 yrs ago??!!!!

Back