• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR .54 for Small Game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad1043

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if I lowered my powder if I could use my .54 for small game? Any suggestions?

I use my .54 Plains Pistol for small game with a 20 gr charge of 3F. I have not tried a charge that small in my rifle but I would think 20-30 grains should work.

I dropped to a 20 gr charge. I also changed my sights to the Lyman adjustables and they are marked so I can drop to 25 gr for squirrel and bunny, then move the rear to 65 gr for deer. Just always try to take head shots! One thing my .54 prefers is for squirrel, I use a .535 ball and .010 patch. For deer I drop to a .530 ball and the same patch. I feel I get the most out of accuracy from my GPR this way. Good luck. :thumbsup:

You bet! I'm using 30 grains of Goex 3f or the same measure of Pyrodex P under a .530 ball and .018 ticking. With my rifle sighted in dead on at 75 yards with my normal hunting load (90 grains of 3f), the 30 grain charge hits dead center at 25 yards. Perfect. It's snakebite accurate, too.

Would it even be worth it with the reduced load? Shooting a tree rat with a .54... Would there even be anything left?

I head shoot the snowshoe hare and would do the same with squirrel. In my experience body shots even with my 30, 32 and 36 calibers are waaaaay to destructive for body shots. Think about how much bigger those are than a 22 rimfire, yet they're traveling at similar velocities, or a whole lot higher as some guys push them. What a mess.

yep, i use 30 grains FFG in mine for squirrels & such. headshots only ofcourse, and it removes the head quite nicely too :thumbsup:

chad1043 said:
Would it even be worth it with the reduced load? Shooting a tree rat with a .54... Would there even be anything left?

The trick is not to shoot the "tree rat". But, rather, the branch old bushy tail maybe laying flat on, just under his chest area. .54 should thump him good. Just make sure, after he drops to the ground, you whack him good in the head. Just to be certain he don't come to, later.

CP

Back