• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPH shot great with re-sized bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfit-45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I finally got the Lee re-sizing kit in .501 diameter for my Lyman 395 grn conical. See Topic #278241. It worked great and it was not too loose for my .502 bore. I'd say it was just right. It slides down easy in a clean bore and has a little too much resistance after about 5 shots. Swabbing the bore solves that. Had a great time at the range. I'm still getting used to the GPR 57 peep sight and 17AEU front sight. Shooting a five shot group at 35 yards I didn't do too bad if I say so myself. Thanks
for all your help.
Marv

Misfit-45 said:
Hi Folks,
I finally got the Lee re-sizing kit in .501 diameter for my Lyman 395 grn conical. See Topic #278241. It worked great and it was not too loose for my .502 bore. I'd say it was just right. It slides down easy in a clean bore and has a little too much resistance after about 5 shots. Swabbing the bore solves that. Had a great time at the range. I'm still getting used to the GPR 57 peep sight and 17AEU front sight. Shooting a five shot group at 35 yards I didn't do too bad if I say so myself. Thanks
for all your help.
Marv

Very nice, I like that aperature sight.

Tom

Do you know if the barrel size is extremely consistent in the GP Hunter rifles? If so I may try your mold and re-sizing trick and see if I can get the same results. I posted recently about the trouble I've been having getting a second Hornady Great Plains bullet to seat after the first shot. I got some much appreciated input, including swabbing with alcohol after shot 1, but unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. I pretty much need to do a full re-cleaning or I'm done after the first shot, which isn't very practical in a hunting situation. Either I have a smaller diameter 50 cal GPH, or my barrel is still rough inside, or I just need to use a smaller bullet. Pretty frustrating.

Is it always necessary to resize your bullets when you cast them or is that dependent upon the individual gun you are shooting or the particular mold you are using?

Very cool! I am using the 54 cal same bullet but they seem to load just fine. What load were you using? Did you use an overpowder lubed wad such as Oxyoke?

Can I suggest you install the Davis Deerslayer triggers? Your groups will possibly halve. Those bullets perform very well on game. I love them.

Back