• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 575-213 old vs new style in springfield 1861

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDDredge

36 Cl.
Reaction score
After ordering bullets, and shipping clearly playing havoc on them, I'm realizing I'm going to have to think about casting my own bullets. I have 100 575-213 new style bullets, some of which very likely aren't salvageable (including a couple that apparently were thrown at .590. My barrel gauged at .577, and I anticipate sizing bullets down to .575 is not going to go well), and I intend to order some 575-213 old style as well. They'll be shot from a pedersoli 1861 Springfield. Looking for experience, obviously I'll be shooting some of each, but I'm looking for someone with a bunch of experience firing the new and old style Lyman 575-213 bullets, which do you prefer?

i have aPedersoli 1861 and my rifle pin gauged at 578 im sizing the lyman old style at 577 and getting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards using goex 3f 60 grains only bullet ive shot because i wanted to stay as close to historically correct as possible.
IVXoPac.jpg

Last edited:
i have aPedersoli 1861 and my rifle pin gauged at 578 im sizing the lyman old style at 577 and getting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards using goex 3f 60 grains only bullet ive shot because i wanted to stay as close to historically correct as possible.
Awesome, thank you for this! I have a couple of the old style bullets coming as well, and I'll measure and size them and run them against the new style ones I have (any ones that size down well). I'm going to start with 45 grains of 2F, then work my way towards 60, and perhaps eventually run into 3F land, but for now I've got 5 pounds of Olde E 2F. If I think of it, I'll come back here and report on what I find! I'm beginning to think I'll end up leaning towards an old style mold, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Awesome, thank you for this! I have a couple of the old style bullets coming as well, and I'll measure and size them and run them against the new style ones I have (any ones that size down well). I'm going to start with 45 grains of 2F, then work my way towards 60, and perhaps eventually run into 3F land, but for now I've got 5 pounds of Olde E 2F. If I think of it, I'll come back here and report on what I find! I'm beginning to think I'll end up leaning towards an old style mold, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Pushing them through a sizer will straighten the skirts. Most or all of the push thru sizers you'll find are made at a shop right down the road from me.

I also shoot .680 12 gauge Foster slugs through my .69 Smoothbores because they are pretty much Nessler Balls, and most of them come with dented skirts. Running them through a .680 sizer straightens them right out. They are basically a Minie ball for smoothbores.

I was going to make my own thread but I came across your post and saw two Pedersoli 1861 owners here so I hope you don't mind the slightly off topic post. I've got one as well, and am wondering what you guys think of the ramrod? I'm not a fan of the 2 piece design, it seems to want to unscrew sometimes, is there a better rod option out there that still looks authentic?

On the ramrod I have a single piece rod thata I don't use but when it's hanging on my wall. At the range I use a brass range rod. That way I don't mess up the barrel shoving a steel rod down it. Brass being softer than the barrel will save the crown and the rifling. Just a little advice.

Back