• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Pedersoli 1861 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to Henry2357 I have a new Pedersoli 1861 Springfield. I took her out Saturday and Sunday for a total of 20 shots. 60 grains Goex FFG, .575 Minie ball with thin skirt, finger smeared with Bore Butter (don’t hate me!) and RWS musket caps. She’s banging a 16”(?) gong consistently at 75 yards offhand standing. I’m loading 10 shots and still easy to load. The weight of the ramrod does most of the work. 2-3 taps and the bullet seats. This is my first military rifled musket. I love this thing!

They are fun! My Armi Sport sends them downrange nicely as well. It hits right for me and the sights are tough on old eyes to see. Windage adjustment isn't a simple matter. The prior owner of the Zouave I have (Euroarms) put a high post front sight on it and I can see it MUCH better. It hits point of aim for me. The shorter barrel on it is noticeable when loading...a lot less ramrod to sling around. We have a sun shade over the firing line where I shoot and I can't load the '61 without having to tilt the musket off vertical quite a ways. The Zouave I can stand straight up without interference from the roof. What is really cool is how you can shoot them a LOT without having to swab the bore. I use a mixture of bees wax and lard to dip the skirts of my Minie's and they load easy with one firm push on the rod.

Same with my roof at the main firing line. I just fit under it with the rammer. I’m at the 25 yard line since I can’t see the gong well enough at 100 yards. If I had white spray paint I’d have a chance. The gong is faded red and blends with the dirt backdrop. I really want a Zouave as well. Beautiful guns.

Absolutely on my list as well! I spent time at Gettysburg about 10 years back for a corporate event and we walked Pickett’s charge among many things on our tour. THAT left an impression. I’m reading Curt Anders “Hearts in Conflict” right now and diving deeper into this amazing time period.

Nice shooting, I have read quite a bit these Italian repros with the shallow rifling seem to prefer FFFG powder. If you have a progressive depth rifled barrel they seem to prefer the FFG grains. Not sure why. I am taking my 1862 Richmond Carbine out this weekend to test that.

Nice shooting, I have read quite a bit these Italian repros with the shallow rifling seem to prefer FFFG powder. If you have a progressive depth rifled barrel they seem to prefer the FFG grains. Not sure why. I am taking my 1862 Richmond Carbine out this weekend to test that.
That hasn't been the case in my experience BUT I only use Swiss or Old E. Things might change with a lower grade of powder

I too have a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield and just love it. Cast my own minieballs because damn, they cost way to much buying them pre-made. I will say that the sights on it are for young eyes but I have fun with it.

So you like shooting muskets...... well, stroll down this rabbit hole........

Oh my God! That is just awesome. It's a shame that there isn't anything close to that where I live. I definitely need to convince the wife that we need to move. I'm sure there is quite a few meets like that back East and in the Southern States. I am from the South.....sort of. Southern California, but please don't hold that against me. Not all folks from California are...well like California's. Once again great video.

My 65 yr old eyes can't work with the stock sights on my 61 Springfield so I pulled the rear leaf sights and replaced them with a Lodgewood supplied blank which I drilled for a peep which works much better for me.

I shot in the hi power nationals at Camp Perry in the 80's and I think that there were more people shooting on the BP film firing line than there were people shooting in the HP nationals. Perry had relays but the numbers of people were fewer I think. Good on our BP crowd.

Back