• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 54 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I went ahead an ordered the Lyman kit. I have read some negative stuff on the forum about the lyman firing, and I hope I don't run into that. I ordered a 54 cal. Not sure why, but I guess the main reason was because I own at least one of every "common" caliber from a 32 to a 50 so the next step was a 54. I may need help and I am sure that I have a ot of help on the forum. Wish me luck.

i have a lyman great plains .54 that ive had great luck with. it doesnt care much for goex but shoots well with pyrodex and loves triple 7. i got a hot shot nipple which seemed more reliable than the factory one. the breech plug has a recessin it that a flatfaced 54 cleaning jag doesnt reach.i use a .45 wire cleaning brush with a thin cleaning patch on it that you can feel going into that recess to clean it.ive mention this to other lyman shooters who had probs and it seemed to correct their problems. i guess oil and crud build up in there .my lyman was my first ml rifle and i have no regrets.

I shoot a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber and it is a great shooting rifle and great caliber. A very accurate dependable rifle... I am sure you will have a fine rifle ..

I think you will be happy with your kit. I have one GPR .54 flint that I bought as a kit. I also have a .54 in cap and I like them both. I just got a .40 cal barrel from Track of the Wolf for the cap lock. It fit in great and I hope to have fun with that also. Mark/wi

I just ordered me a Trade rifle in 50 cal.
I decided to stick with the 50 since I already had that caliber, nothing extra to buy.

How do, Navaho. I finished building my first muzzleloader (a 54 Lyman GPR cap gun) just a couple weeks ago. It shoots unreal well. My first sit-down range session got me a 1 3/4" group at 100 yards. At 25, most shots were touching. (They would have been if I held better! :redface: ) It is 100% reliable with Goex and Remington caps. I convinced my buddy to buy a factory-finished one and his is just as accurate and reliable.

Best value for a shooter on the market, IMHO.

Back