• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubed paper cartridge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone lube there paper cartridges?
Most instructions show no lube when making these cartridges.
It should help keep the fouling down. I should add that these are round ball cartridges.
Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone lube there paper cartridges?
Most instructions show no lube when making these cartridges.
It should help keep the fouling down. I should add that these are round ball cartridges.
Any thoughts on this?
About 30 years ago I do recall seeing a original .54 RB cartridge that had the ball end dipped. And for the life of me I can’t recall the old book that had it pictured. While the 1841 and subsequent ordnance manuals list directions on how to make .69 musket and .54 rifle cartridges, none of them mention the lube.

I’m not sure of the proper mixture but combining beeswax with deer, beef, or hog tallow and dipping the business end of the cartridge into the mix while it is hot should work fine.

I’ve seen this done with skin cartridges, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do it with paper cartridges.

FWIW when I make my paper cartridges for my big 75-cal, I do dip the ball end of the 'cartridge' (before adding powdah) in a melted mix of 50:50 beeswax to cheap olive oil. The accuracy is outstanding with the 100-grn charges and the bore stays fairly clean given the 1Fg powdah, due to the loooooong 60" barrel.

See PDF instructions attached for French paper cartridge loads. But note as per the photo below that I do add a bit of a twist, but at least it's not as time consuming as being tied off in the English manner.

1711649117640.png

Attachments

• Roundball Paper Cartridges - French Style.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 0
FWIW when I make my paper cartridges for my big 75-cal, I do dip the ball end of the 'cartridge' (before adding powdah) in a melted mix of 50:50 beeswax to cheap olive oil. The accuracy is outstanding with the 100-grn charges and the bore stays fairly clean given the 1Fg powdah, due to the loooooong 60" barrel.

See PDF instructions attached for French paper cartridge loads. But note as per the photo below that I do add a bit of a twist, but at least it's not as time consuming as being tied off in the English manner.

View attachment 307788
That is not how French paper cartridges were formed. Up to our Revolution they were formed from a rectangle and the seems glued shut. The ball end was glued as well and not tied under the ball. But that part is right in that PDF.

During our war for independence, American cartridges were rolled in a haphazard manner, using English, French styles and even our own takes. It wasn’t until well past our war of 1812 that we finally settled on the now familiar style.

Last edited:
With regards to the instructions in @Flint62Smoothie's pdf from Post #1, the 5/8" dowel rod section will make a cartridge for a 20 gauge cartridge. A 3/4" dowel rod section is required for the 11 gauge Brown Bess cartridge. The dowel rods I use have been turned down a bit so that the paper wrapped ball in the cartridge will slip down the barrel with the paper I use. I have dipped the ball end in a mix of bee's wax and oil when I have the time. Often the ball is not waxed and oiled. Then I will spit on the paper wrapped ball as I load to soften the fouling.

When loading such live rounds, I tear off the tail, pour the powder, and stuff the paper wrapped cartridge and ball down the barrel. The now empty paper tube becomes a wad between the powder and the ball. I prime from a separate priming charger.

Latest posts

Back