• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lube or no lube.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpa Ron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the years I have use a multitude of loads in the rifles and smoothbores. However, I still cannot say which is better. Lubed patch or spit patch.

I can say that from the bench, if I clean between shots, a greased patch shoots tighter than a spit patch from my 54 cal. rifle. I have tried this a few time. However. if I do not clean between shots the lube no lube groups seem the same.

With my 54 cal. smoothie I was using a lubed wad and patch to keep the fouling soft. However when I tried a dry wad and spit patch the group was the same and there was less fouling.

I believe that the lube used to keep the fouling soft also contributes to the amount of fouling. I have heard this before and recent tests seem to confirm this.

So, I am curious what the other shooter have found out.

Ron
I would try pure neetsfoot oil and a fairly tight patch and i think you will get consistent groups.Curt

Of course you're right. Olive oil!

Maybe a little balsamic vinegar, fresh ground black pepper and grated parmesan...

Ron the last tests i ran with neetsfoot oil ,the last shot was as easy to load as the first and easy to clean as well. Not sure what Alden is up to but i think hes been in the kitchen too long.haha Curt

Spit IS a lube when used on a patch. In fact, it's one of the better ones. It shouldn't be used unless the gun is to be fired soon after. The patch can dry out and it can also cause rust rings in the bore.

For me i do one of the following dont see a differance it how i shhot
Crisco get it hot to a liquid and run my cotton strips through it and roll up and tear off what i need
Olive or coconut oil
But i'm using more spit patch now why dont know probly just cutting back on proccess keeping it simple

Over the decades I have used many lubes...but every shoot that I won was done with spit lube.

of course that was with a rifle not a smooth bore
what are you shooting?

I have found spit to work very well as a lube if I am shooting in a match where I load and shoot right away. If I am going to load for hunting where the load may stay in the barrel for a while, I find that a light moistening with Ballistol makes for a great patch lube. When shooting in a match, I swab between shots with a lightly moistened patch so fouling is seldom an issue. One thing to keep in mind when selecting a lube is that a lube can be too slick. A lube that is too slick will result in varying breach pressures which translate into varying muzzle velocities. I have proven this to myself with a chronograph and using various lubes. After having been into muzzleloading for something over 40 years, I have found that there are something just over a bazillion lube recipes and each one has its adherent(s) who will swear that it is the final answer to your lube needs.

I've always used oil-based lubes. My flintlocks are primarily hunting guns, and I don't trust a spit patch to sit in the bore for hours without wetting the powder. Mostly I've used T/C Bore Butter, but I've been experimenting with various other concoctions lately.

I suppose I should have considered spit a lube. I have shot spit patches for years.

Easy, convenient and readily available, what else could a boy ask for.

I will have to try some of the oils rather than grease on my patches.

I have also seen some really good shooter using a very tight ball and dry patches and some shooters using that use that new Teflon patching.

I am always diddling for tighter group.

Curt said:
Ron
I would try pure neetsfoot oil and a fairly tight patch and i think you will get consistent groups.Curt

Lately folks talk about using neetsfoot oil for a patch lube. Neetsfoot oil used to be made from beef leg and foot bones, but today it's said to be made from lard. Characteristics for leather finishing are about the same, and leather and horsey saddle folks hotly debate one vs the other as vehemently as we do various shooting patch lubes.

While looking thru some old shooting supplies from my Dad I found some patches he made up long ago for his .40 cal rifle. There are about 10 left and I think they're the ones soaked in Castor Oil.

There were some castor plants down the street from our house and he got a bunch, ground them up and soaked them in some kind of solvent. When the solvent was evaporated off, there was a couple of tablespoons of oil left. We planned to use it for making model airplane fuel, but ends up that the pre-mixed stuff from the hobby shop was cheaper, so the little bottle of castor oil sat for many years until he built the rifle.

Seems to me castor oil patch lube worked just fine - when I have a chance I'll try these old ones out and compare with my tallow/beeswax blend.

Back