• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to try date to this musket, as the markings are indistinct apart from the crown engraving it's 75 cal, wooden ramrod, is it an Indian Trader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you were and you were counter mocked, here here little fishy, hook line and sinker, people like you should go and seek some mental health advice, I countered you because you're an unwelcoming so and so, have a good day and don't bother replying, thanks.
If you were counter mocking it was very weak. I have admit your reply is quite childish.

Bottom edge of lock is less curved than the 1740 lock and has the single exposed screw behind the cock. The 1777 lock had 2 exposed screws. The cock is a hybrid of type 1 and type 2 India patterns.

I doubt there would have been an Indian on the North American continent that would have traded for that ugly thing.
Thanks again, for the sound advice, great knowledge, like I said earlier I only want it for the lock for a rebuild, its less expensive than buying a seperate original lock, also looking at this Jezail, or Afghan long gun, its using a captured or traded British East India Lock, probably from the second Afghan war, I think this is a better option, as it's estimated at auction for less than £100

Attachments

• 835da6f8-d3fc-4853-9eef-b0fc015c2492.jpg
    835da6f8-d3fc-4853-9eef-b0fc015c2492.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 00793828-1b20-4254-bd41-b0fc015c22f6.jpg
    00793828-1b20-4254-bd41-b0fc015c22f6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
If you were counter mocking it was very weak. I have admit your reply is quite childish.
Look here wee man, this is a forum where people seek advice from older wiser more knowledgeable people, perhaps like yourself, they don't come here to be mocked, it's an extremely low form of wit, in fact it has no witty content at all, its base and ignorant, if you want to mock people then go elsewhere. I wonder who the bairn is, if you want to give advice, I'm all up for reading what you have to say, hey, no problem, if you want to mock people, as you freely admit, then stay off my threads, you're no welcome, now you go and have a wee dram and sort yourself out, and say something helpful for a change, then you might find people are willing to listen to you and show you some respect, cos' you have te earn it, Ken?

Does it come with any provenance? It looks like a bunch of parts meant to look like a Bess. It would be interesting to see what kind of wood species that stock came from and to what period that cock dates to.
Unfortunately, no provenance, its from an auction of a batch of guns, all in pretty poor rusted up condition here in the Scottish borders, as I've said before, I'm only after the lock, it does in my opinion look very old, you o' the guys was saying 1750's, I though it was queen Anne period at first, but yeah, maybe just a bunch of old parts, many thanks for your help anyways.
There was the kings muskets. For all the talk of too much drop or swells in the wrong place ect every original I’ve ever seen was pretty varied
But
I ain’t no sort of student of bess history
However I would point out that even back in the day Bess knockoffs were made.
The crown handed out letters of marque, and even just plain merchantmen often had a lot of Bess like muskets onboard
Then the Dutch often had Bess like guns on its privately owned ships.
East India, HBC and NW also bought Bess like guns used by the traders, not for trade
These were not built to the kings standard but could resemble them.
Great reply, many thanks, lots to digest there.

Look here wee man, this is a forum where people seek advice from older wiser more knowledgeable people, perhaps like yourself, they don't come here to be mocked, it's an extremely low form of wit, in fact it has no witty content at all, its base and ignorant, if you want to mock people then go elsewhere. I wonder who the bairn is, if you want to give advice, I'm all up for reading what you have to say, hey, no problem, if you want to mock people, as you freely admit, then stay off my threads, you're no welcome, now you go and have a wee dram and sort yourself out, and say something helpful for a change, then you might find people are willing to listen to you and show you some respect, cos' you have te earn it, Ken?
There is no one here mocking you.

Of course you were and you were counter mocked, here here little fishy, hook line and sinker, people like you should go and seek some mental health advice, I countered you because you're an unwelcoming so and so, have a good day and don't bother replying, thanks.
I had assumed you were looking for the correct information instead of what ever you could dream up. I was wrong of course.

was following…seems these threads sour up a whole lot sooner nowadays than when folks first got to digitally opining and exchanging the contents of their brains…

was following…seems these threads sour up a whole lot sooner nowadays than when folks first got to digitally opining and exchanging the contents of their brains…
Indeed. Time to ignore this one as well. Most likely another potential new contributor run off again. Shame. Why on earth people lack the ability to just not say something or at least have the humility to back down rather than childishly escalate is beyond me...

Over the last week or so and including this new thread, there have been at least 2 posters who seem to take immense pleasure coming across as jerks when they post. Lately, what's wrong with the maturity of some members of this Forum? We're adults here who should act like we have some manners. If you're not interested in making helpful comments in your post, then, don't participate in the discussion. Wish Zonie were still here.

Who's the wee man? Seems to be you.
You got an opinion from an expert, ignored it and decided to go woth your own conclusions.... then got your panties in a wad when you were called on it. Then on top of that you start hurling insults and name calling? If anyone is the "wee man," it's you.
If you are going to go with your own conclusions, why ask?
Nothing is right about that stock for any type of original gun. The rest of the parts don't even match up so it isn't even a restock of a trade gun or musket.
You may not like it, but that's what is there.

I cant remember which classic comic said, "Please, don't go away mad,,,, just go away," but the phrase does come to mind....

Didn't you just join this forum yesterday? Good job making friends and influencing people. Sorry you paid too much for some junk someone told you was an India trader and now you dont want to hear otherwise.

I guess the question is do we just tell people what they want to hear or do we try and educate them. If it were me looking for answers I'd want the truth.
Mike, the problem is that people like us invest the money and time to study this stuff, then we give the information freely. When it all comes down to it, most don’t appreciate what they didn’t earn. I think us jerks from now on should just kindly tell people the often expensive books they can buy to figure this stuff out for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back