• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to see how much a smooth bore is

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit man

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in trying to find a smoothbore Kentucky style gun and see what would be the best and the cheapest for a beginner well I would love to put one together myself but ant got much in the way of funds right now well can you all help me

best and the cheapest

Do you want one of each? :confused:

Best is hard to define, consider spending $5,000.00 up to $50,000.00.
Cheapest might be found in a pawn shop and very likely unshootable.
Lowest price new made? You will be in the $1,000.00 to $1,400.00 range. There is one lower but I can't reccomend him in good conscience.
Others will chime in with names.

Especially if you're light on funds, patiently and diligently purusing the various online classifieds and auction sites is your best option. I've seen very nice used smoothbores (usually shorter, northwest style trade guns) go for $500 - $600. Prices climb from there with fusils and fowlers, etc. If you have $1,200 - $1,500, you shouldn't have much problem finding a nice, used (maybe even new) smoothbore quickly. Make it a point to keep saving as you look. :wink:

Guess you could buy a Traditions Kentucky rifle kit for about $300 and have the barrel bored for about another $100 could get you close to a 28 gauge ....maybe :idunno:

Best advice would be to save your money and buy exactly what you want. instead of wasting time and money.

Welcome to the forum, Rabbit Man. If you can't find what you like on the for sale sections of the forums, you'll spend over $1000 just for a hand built, bare bones gun. A decent kit will set you back $700 and up. You might like a T/C and there are nice used ones posted. You can then order another barrel and essentially have two guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I was just looking into a gun to build my self and ant to much cause ant got much to pay for one

Keep a close eye on ebay, lots a parts come up all time, saw a 20 bore barrel go while back less than 50 bucks I think. If you haunt that site & others you'll collect the parts sooner or later. Just check a catalog like track wolf or muzzle loaders supply on cost so you don't pay toooo much.....good luck.....Tom

I was looking to buy the whole gun kit but if buying the diff peices are cheaper then I will do it that way I just want it to squirrel, rabbit, deer, and turkey hunt with

check guns America and gun broker. theres a guy selling hawken style 28 ga. perc. guns.they go for under 300 buckskins.

Are them ones you use tools and stuff to put together I just want to make a gun to my likening I have a guy that has made a few he use to be a renactor but got out of it when his trailer got a roof leak and ruand most of his stuff

Rabbit Man. If you come to the NMLRA http://www.nmlra.org/ Spring shoot at Friendship you may be able to find an inexpensive smoothbore sitting on someones trade blanket. I have seen a number of smoothbores go for as little as $800.

If there are any trade shows in your area you may be able to find one in your price range. Get a subscription to Smoke and Fire News. http://www.smoke-fire.com/smoke-fire-newspaper.asp That way you will know what is going on near you.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks I just want something I can put together and make it to what I like. I would love to get a build it your self kit to make everything to fit me you know what I mean

Back