• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for some leather advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a source who is willing to sell me some leather on the cheap. He found out I was wanting to make a shooting bag, haversack, moccasins & leggings and wanted to help. Some of these will be free scrap pieces and some will be 4-5 sq feet patches either in Buffalo, split sided buckskin, and some veg tanned cow leather.

My questions for you guys:

What ounce should one start with on a bag? I’m thinking around 2-3oz? What about leggings? Moccasins? And how much should one reasonably acquire for such projects?

TIA!

2=3 oz. is pretty thin for a bag but you can make it work if you line it with pillow ticking. Use rubber or barge cement. The pillow ticking create a light inside which makes it easy to find small items. For a cheap strap get upholstery webbing and fold it over. It is about 3" wide, a double thickness therefore 1 1/2" wide which works well.

A question about Tandy Latigo strips on a roll. It used to be great stuff. Now it's nothing but little sections spliced together with cheap glue that break when pulled on.

I like making leather stuff with heavy lacing to tie pieces together. I wrap with wet lacing and need to pull hard to bring seams together.

Who makes good and strong 1/8" square lacing?

As always, many thanks.

My most used shot pouch is 3oz veg. tan goat leather. Holding up fine.
It isn't just about ounces/thickness. How the leather is tanned and the temper of the individual piece of leather makes a difference.
Veg tan/bark tan is generally going to be more suitable for s shot pouch. Brain tan (or eggs, or some other fat source) is going to be better for your leggings, or moccasins.

Where on the hide pieces are cut from and which direction the hide stretches more will also make a difference.

Last edited:
I have a source who is willing to sell me some leather on the cheap. He found out I was wanting to make a shooting bag, haversack, moccasins & leggings and wanted to help. Some of these will be free scrap pieces and some will be 4-5 sq feet patches either in Buffalo, split sided buckskin, and some veg tanned cow leather.

What ounce should one start with on a bag? I’m thinking around 2-3oz? What about leggings? Moccasins? And how much should one reasonably acquire for such projects?

TIA!
I prefer 5-6 oz. leather for bags. Anything thinner gets flimsy.

I really like pigskin for bags but finding a good thickness is sometimes a pain, that and Bison.

Both have a nice texture,

For those of you within driving distance Landwerlen leather in Indianapolis usually has some nice leather of different types. A buddy and I used to make the 3 plus hour drive over from Illinois so we could look through their inventory.
It helps to be able to handle the leather to find exactly what your looking for.

Last edited:

TIA!

I've been meaning to get back to you on this topic for a few days.
I just got around to taking some pics regarding leather thickness/weight and types of leather.
20230225_163952.jpg
20230225_164133.jpg
20230225_170107.jpg

A shot pouch made from the above,
20210215_075556.jpg

20210215_081744.jpg

20210227_184136.jpg

20210227_184340.jpg

20210625_221737.jpg

I just used some of these as well as some pics and info made with other craft store leather, including splits, in a reply to this other similar topic,,,,
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/hobby-lobby-leather-quality.159737/

This may have been mentioned.. but in case folks were wondering, leather is measured in ounces.
1oz = 1/64th of an inch... so 8 oz is 1/8 of an inch thick
Montana leather has some great leather. They used to have a traveling salesman that would visit us saddle makers once a month. Those were the days!

I like the color, size, and design of your bag @Brokennock.
Thank you. No dye or stain was used. The bag was sewn inside out, turned wetted and filled with plastic bags of bird shot, then when dry, warmed in a very low temp oven and mink oil and beeswax was applied. The color is simply the natural leather darkened by the fat and wax.

Latest posts

Back