• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for main spring for 90s Browning Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cliff ! Sorry to bear bad news. My Jonathan Browning mainspring broke after thousands of rounds & lots of deer. Browning no longer had parts, but, at that time I located a fellow that supposedly bought their parts. Long story short - ended up buying three replacement mainsprings. The first two snapped in two first time cocking. Third worked ok, so I sold the gun. It is a weak part. If you can find a replacement ...buy two. Good luck, sir.

Just for grins I tried both sites mentioned above B has nothing and site C doesn't even download so best thing is take your spring to a gunsmith and have him make a new one. I was interested because I have a .50 JBMR but my spring is still good. Good luck there "down under!" I also tried Numrich Gun Parts and they list it, but out of stock, and once out I've never seen them return to stock.

I have a Browning ,and the spring is good so far, but would not mind having a spare.I think I'll shoot it till it breaks then try to find someone to make a spring.These springs were available many years ago,but inventory has pretty much dried up.

I have never owned a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle (JBMR), but I've admired them for many years. In researching them, I found numerous reports of broken mainsprings. Browning evidently designed their own lock from scratch, and based on photos I have seen of the insides of the locks, the mainspring appears to be under tremendous stress. It appears to me that it is not a problem with the spring so much as with the geometry of the lock.

L&R would be well advised to develop a drop-in replacement for the JBMR lock, with the needed improvements in the design of the interior parts, and add it to their RPL line of products. They would probably sell thousands of them.

Aside from the problem with mainsprings breaking, these are said to be really fine rifles.

Best of luck to the OP. I hope he finds his spring!

Notchy Bob

I have never owned a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle (JBMR), but I've admired them for many years. In researching them, I found numerous reports of broken mainsprings. Browning evidently designed their own lock from scratch, and based on photos I have seen of the insides of the locks, the mainspring appears to be under tremendous stress. It appears to me that it is not a problem with the spring so much as with the geometry of the lock.

L&R would be well advised to develop a drop-in replacement for the JBMR lock, with the needed improvements in the design of the interior parts, and add it to their RPL line of products. They would probably sell thousands of them.

Aside from the problem with mainsprings breaking, these are said to be really fine rifles.

Best of luck to the OP. I hope he finds his spring!

Notchy Bob
I think you are right on the geometry of the spring being the problem. To bad the spring issue overshadows a great gun made in America.

Latest posts

Back