• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fun range day with my S & B

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks like Pietta is cranking out the S&B into production again. I purchased mine a couple of months back from a fellow member and I’m extremely happy with it. It was made back in the late 90s and looked unfired. I installed a taller front sight and hour glassed the hammer spring for a lighter hammer pull. Great shooting piece. Used 17 grains of Schuetzen in combo of loose balls/ paper cartridges shot at 20 yards. She is gummy and dirty.
IMG_7615.jpeg
IMG_7618.jpeg

Looks like Pietta is cranking out the S&B into production again. I purchased mine a couple of months back from a fellow member and I’m extremely happy with it. It was made back in the late 90s and looked unfired. I installed a taller front sight and hour glassed the hammer spring for a lighter hammer pull. Great shooting piece. Used 17 grains of Schuetzen in combo of loose balls/ paper cartridges shot at 20 yards. She is gummy and dirty. View attachment 282758View attachment 282759

Don’t scalp me for asking this but you don’t find that fence post at the muzzle to be annoying?

Looks like Pietta is cranking out the S&B into production again. I purchased mine a couple of months back from a fellow member and I’m extremely happy with it. It was made back in the late 90s and looked unfired. I installed a taller front sight and hour glassed the hammer spring for a lighter hammer pull. Great shooting piece. Used 17 grains of Schuetzen in combo of loose balls/ paper cartridges shot at 20 yards. She is gummy and dirty. View attachment 282758View attachment 282759
I want one! A friend has one as new I may be able to buy from him, and I saw one new in box recently at a show but had no money to buy! I'll get mine "aged" by that fellow I read about here. Thanks for posting, good luck! Nice to see they're making them yet again! The original Confederates would be shocked and amused!

Yeah, that’s some nice shooting. I’ve been wanting to get mine out and shoot but just haven’t had the time. Got a lot of family stuff going on.

Love the Spiller & Burr!

I have a pair by MOFRA and the front grip strap is the closest to the trigger guard of any C&B pistols I have ever seen. They are not very comfortable to shoot as they hammer your saluting finger even with light loads.

I haven’t done it yet but I’m planning on cutting some new walnut slabs for my S&B grips and finish them out a little fatter to see how it affects the feel of the grip. Will probably need a little longer grip screw though.

I really like mine. It's become my favorite revolver to shoot, no cap jams like my Colt repros and no cylinder binding like the Remington. I know they are based on the Whitney revolver, makes me want one of those!

Love mine. I really like how the Spiller and Burr is scaled perfectly to a 36 caliber...I sure wish one of the makers offered a Remington Navy so done as well.

I got a good day in with the Pietta NMA (target and I raised the front sight, being able to hit at 25 yards vs 18 inches high)
I ran 4-5 cylinders x 6 each through it, no issues though I do clean the pin off each time (I have 2 xtra cylinders for it). Its still a bit low, just added another washer, that should bring it pretty close.

The old ASP NMA was run at least two cylinders worth - still working on my BP note keeping so records are iffy. The ASP NMA did fine sealing wise with the .454 balls. I will put in a higher post on that soon, it also shoots high though not as bad as the Pietta.

I was told I was violating Rule 17 on muzzle loaders, hmmm, I am lucky to remember the first 5. What blue line am I supposed to be behind? Easy enough, loose powder loaded at the back of the shed (and I assume balls or conical s pur over it) then the caps kept up on the shooting bench. Who knew? I asked before, I guess all the range guys don't know all the rules either (or where the blue line is and what applies and does not)!

Attachments

• Pietta NMA Target Front Sight Riase.JPG
    Pietta NMA Target Front Sight Riase.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
Back