• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a period correct smoothbore - help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhotog

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My first post and I've sent most of the night reading.

I'm looking for a period correct 1775 20ga smoothbore reproduction- lefthanded. Can anyone point me to a quality gun maker?

Thanks in advance J Hunt

TVM Tenn. Valley Muzzloading......Excellant value for the price. The wait is not that long ether.

Look at Green mt. boy's post with target. His is a TVM left hand

P

J Hunt said:
My first post and I've sent most of the night reading.

I'm looking for a period correct 1775 20ga smoothbore reproduction- lefthanded. Can anyone point me to a quality gun maker?

Thanks in advance J Hunt

welcome to the forum.

If you want a 100% historically correct piece for that time period, it will probably have to be custom made.

You didn't mention the location, civilian or military, and economic class. It all makes a difference. Either way Mike Brooks can fix you up.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to decide what you want and find a CUSTOM builder who has studied that particular type of firearm to build it for you.

Sorry I posted in the wrong place. I'm looking for as close to period correct as I can get. Small smoothbore would be best. I do plan on doing reenactments (MA Militia) and small game hunting with the flintlock.

TV doesn't appear to have a website, do they? Any gun maker that have websites please post them.

I have no objection to waiting 2-5 months, but when we built our home I almost castrated the contractor.

J Hunt said:
Sorry I posted in the wrong place. I'm looking for as close to period correct as I can get. Small smoothbore would be best. I do plan on doing reenactments (MA Militia) and small game hunting with the flintlock.

TV doesn't appear to have a website, do they? Any gun maker that have websites please post them.

I have no objection to waiting 2-5 months, but when we built our home I almost castrated the contractor.

If you find a builder who can get you a gun in 2-5 months then it is already built, they are cutting corners or they don't have any customers. :grin:

You may have to pay more up front for a left hander as some builders have gotten burnt on a lefty job and they don't move too quick.

Look to spend 1600-4500 for a well made piece that has the little differences that make it more historical as well as a quality piece. :thumbsup:

If a builder can't deliver you a custom gun under 5 months or so - assuming he's not really busy - run, don't walk, to someone else. I have a TVM smoothy and love it. Matt can build you a true custom gun to any dimensions you specify, with whatever lock, barrel, wood, furniture, etc, that you want. Plus the guns are hand built from selected boards and not just fitted kits as some "custom" makers will do. I suggest you call Toni and tell her what you want and she will help you and make suggestions. Their website doesn't tell you all this but a call to her will. Plus their prices are among the best deal out there.

If a builder can't deliver you a custom gun under 5 months or so - assuming he's not really busy - run, don't walk, to someone else.
Wow, don't know much about the gun business eh? If a builder can get you a gun built from a plank in less than 5 months there is a problem. There is a reason that those guys usually don't have alot of work backed up.
Also, Don't have a left handed gun built, you'll taking a beating on it when you sell it. Get it with a right handed lock and cast off for a left handed shooter.
Your best bet is to look for something used from a maker with a name.....and a lengthy waiting list.

Like Mike said, here is another option for a lefty,

A Transitional Left handed gun here,

S6300325.JPG

"Wow, don't know much about the gun business eh? " :rotf:

I guess there are some that can only build one or two (if they work 12 hour days) guns in a year. At that rate it would take them, what, 30-40 years to get the "hang" of it? A talented craftsman (any field) can do in a few days what it takes the duffer months to do. Soooo.... Of course some build with kits and machine cut stocks which should help. Whatever blows your skirt up.

You miss the point. It doesn't matter kits or from a plank. If a full time gunmaker doesn't have at least a year back log it says something about their work, or their lack of advertisement.
Cripes, I can build a gun from a blank in less than 20 hours, but when you have 25 to 35 guns on your list it takes quite some time to get to it.

My first one was about a year from order to delivery. My last was actually under 5 months but a couple of others were a bit less than a year. Several factors enter in to this; where one's gun is in the line, ability of the builder, the amount of work in the order, # of employees, just to name a few. A little one man shop will take somewhat longer as he will have to do everything since he can't readily delegate tasks. A shop with even a couple of employees will be more efficient and therefore more timely. In well managed shops with a couple of employees, most of the wait time is likely to be waiting your turn.

Afraid he's got ya there Mike, you and your chickens will never be as fast as somone with several employees to delegate tasks to..... :hmm:

I have to agree with Mike on this one. Most custom builders have a 1 1/2 to 2 year wait. Nothing against Bobby Christian or TVM (They build fine guns) but they are just not that PC when we are talking about smoothbore fowlers. But it just depends on how historically correct you want to be. It's hard to wait that long for something you want so bad but in the end, it will be worth it. Depending upon where you live, you might try to make Dixon's gunmaker's fair in July or the CLA show in August. Both have a tremendous amount of eye candy and even guns for sale.

Good luck.

A left hand gun with a right hand lock...how bizzare, never seen nuthin' like that before. How did you come up wth that? I think I'm getting dizzy looking at it. :confused:

It doesn't take six months to build a gun but can take that long or longer for your name to come to the top of the list. Much longer if the customer wants "special" stuff like a barrel that has to be custom ordered or a patchbox that has to be hand made and can't be "store bought" etc. Also, for instance, the left/right handed gun above would take me two or three days of just thinking and planning before I ever even start on it. :idunno:

L. Dog

Mike Brooks said:
You miss the point. It doesn't matter kits or from a plank. If a full time gunmaker doesn't have at least a year back log it says something about their work, or their lack of advertisement.
Cripes, I can build a gun from a blank in less than 20 hours, but when you have 25 to 35 guns on your list it takes quite some time to get to it.

holy manure! you can go from a blank to gun in less than 20 hours! am i easily impressed or is that fast!?

Latest posts

Back